The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

another RHD vr4 in the states

dkvr4

Yeah find out please! When he is done we should all get together for a photo shoot!

dkvr4

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Make sure the the coolant tests strong, no wicked acidity.
Also the grounds straps need to be in place from each bank head to the corresponding frame rail.
This with time, is what mainly killed the head gaskets, other than overheating.

Double check the seams along the bottom of the head for any coolant and or oil leakage.
Also drive the car in a very tight circle, and at 40-50kmh after a few circles to make sure the front axle cup outers are not
loose and causing clicking, or snappy, and to confirm the inner axle cups are not seized/seizing. Inner cups cause a vibration much like tire imabalance.
If you have a rear bearing noise upon test drive (very evident grind with the older interiors on Subaru), suspect taking apart the rear knuckles to press out
the bearing. They use a long bolt across the bottom that can leave you stuck if the car is at all rusty. Machine shop stuck after taking the rear subframe stuck .....
This is the where you need to know how rusty those long trailing arm bolts are, and what every else is creeping up in short order.
I've had a few runins with the older rear bearings ............ I avoid touching them like the plague! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Other than that, should be a blast!

Thanks for that info! I ended up buying the Subaru for $700 with and exhaust leak. Body isn't pretty at all, was side swiped (not bad but you can notice it) but it drives like a dream. No shakes at 60+mph, goes in a straight line when you let go of wheel, no leaks anywhere, clutch and break work fine, car feels solid and doesn't bounce so suspension is great- overall I'm happy with the purchase and ride of the subi (drove it two hours home)

Would post more but this isn't a subi forum haha but the car looks worse in person. It won't let me upload the video of the close ups but trust me the body . . . lets just say you can definitely call it a beater car lol

citymunky

mitsuturbo

Why the hell would you "convert" a LHD car to RHD?

To make it less safe and more difficult to drive in traffic with no performance benefit whatsoever?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Not to mention the fact the LHD version is actually far more rare of a vehicle worldwide, is it not?

Last edited:

prove_it

Technically, if the engine is on the left and you move the driver to the right, then the weight is a little more balanced, so it does improve performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mitsuturbo

Yeah. That sort of performance gain is totally worth all that time, money and effort. I'm sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

WesternMD_VR4

His galant is a shell and he had most stuff off a 1g for drivetrai etc and found a good deal and couldn't say no.. Wasn't. Full 100% turn key car that was converted to rhd.

mitsuturbo

I can totally understand wanting a clean low mile imported GVR4, regardless of which side the steering wheel is on, but chopping up the firewall, changing brake lines, installing pedals, dash, et-cetera just seems nonsensical and a colossal waste of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

89Mirageman

Mirage guys do it all the time. if you know how to do that type of work yourself it isn't that bad, just time consuming.

89Patches

I don't see the point of converting a LHD to RHD other than to look cool for the young JDM retards. Now converting a RHD to LHD I can understand. If I decide to keep my RHD Galant i'll probably swap to LHD.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Install two steering wheels and make a hybrid dashboard of the LHD and RHD, and pick your pleasure!

/end state. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

To the OP; great work with the Subie. I love my MY'05 Wagon. Currently an all Japanese fleet at my place.

dkvr4

Lmfao!!! Tell me why I was having this exact conversation with my friend who said "yo lets make it LHD!" And "yo lets put a steering on the left so you can pick which one you want" hahahaha oh imma have to send him a screen shot lmao. I personally like it being rhd, and yes I agree having a LHD is much rarer than rhd, but being able to own a rhd in a country that is LHD makes it different and dare I say unique (in our culture that is)

And thank you for the subi love, I can't say I miss my 08 legacy but I was happy buying the 98 legacy even if it looks like a blue pos lol. Makes me even happier I have the best of both worlds - a 4g63 and a boxer motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daspon

I have a coworker who made a RHD EVO from a LHD Mirage. that works right? it's still a Mirage, just with Evo parts

mitsuturbo

I think the smarter move would be to convert a RHD EVO to LHD for street use in this country.

dkvr4

Quoting daspon:
I have a coworker who made a RHD EVO from a LHD Mirage. that works right? it's still a Mirage, just with Evo parts

before I decided on the vr4, I was trying to find a 2001 mirage and covert it into a full evo 4/5. But body parts were harder to find that I was like forget it and continued to debate between a fully built gsx or vr4...we saw which one won /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol
mirage is just like an older style evo chassis wise, minus the fact that the evo body were a bit sturdier with extra welds to the chassis.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned