The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

another RHD vr4 in the states

dkvr4

Hey just wanted to introduce my new ride. I'm from Connecticut and bought a 88 vr4 off of my friend who is an importer. I had a gst back in 2005 and regret selling it, but I'm back now and with a majority bone stock galant vr4 for my daily driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif only mods are a hks turbo timer and a sony head unit that doesn't pick up any american stations lol. She has around 63k miles on her.

As far as goals, first thing I plan on doing is getting maintenance out of the way (all belts, water pump, gaskets, hoses, any bushings, and new fluids.) I've been a ghost follower researching and going through threads on here weeks before buying my vr4, so I plan on ordering most OEM items off of JNZ.

After all that is done, I want to get the bottom coated to prevent any rust from arising since its already rust free! And of course a full detail - I want my vr4 to look like it just came out of the factory.

For power I don't have a certain number in mind to reach HP wise, I want to keep her as stock looking as possible and get a ported evo 3 manifold (so i can use OEM heat shield) and a ported 16g evo turbo (or a ported FP68HTA lol) with evo 3 injectors, rear lsd, pretty much making it into a vr4 with evo specs "the evo 0" and have her tuned with eculink v3 - whatever HP I make from it I'm sure I'll be happy with. I plan on buying a 1g gsx/talon and using that for heavy mods and high horse power.

Here are some pics when she left Japan

Thank you for looking!

G

Staff member
Looks nice man! The best way to keep it rust free is to not drive it through salty winters. Buy a beater for that. Undercoating won't help. Interesting ground wire someone installed going to the firewall. I wonder what that's about.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting vr4hotness:
I almost got this one, but couldn't get it registered in California.

Looks awesome congratulations

Because of smog?

dkvr4

Thank you everyone!!! yeah this was the one for sale in Stamford (and also via ebay) I've been friends with Vistec (importer) since 2003. I actually sold my 2008 legacy so I could buy this and I regret NOTHING!!! lol. At first I wasn't going to get it and just buy a built gsx but when I test drove it I felt the car choose me, dont know if you guys could relate to that haha but I knew I had to buy it.

BaT has some wrong info on there though - its a 1988 and has hks turbo timer.

But she drives like a dream. I'm extremely happy. I was thinking of buying a daily for winter but that is still up in the air, my plan was to drive this as a daily and end up getting a R32 next year, but my neighbor is selling a corolla for cheap that I was thinking to get or maybe a 1g gsx auto if I find it for a decent price (but knowing me I'd end up stripping it and making it my track car vs a daily lmao)

and I was looking at the ground yesterday because it kind of annoys me since it sticks out and doesn't look OEM at all.

but seems to be an extra ground for that (as per my mechanic says) - i'll be wrenching on her saturday to see exactly what I need to buy and replace before ordering parts.

G

Staff member
Don't do it man! It won't be worth anything once it starts rusting!

vr4hotness

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
Quoting vr4hotness:
I almost got this one, but couldn't get it registered in California.

Looks awesome congratulations

Because of smog?

Can't make it legal in CA, I double check it all out

dkvr4

So I'm probably going to pick up a 98 Subaru tomorrow for $700 with an exhaust leak for a winter daily and I'll rent a garage for the galant or probably drive it down to FL and park it in my parents garage till the snow melts here (dollar and cent wise driving it down to FL and flying back would be cheaper than renting something up here, the prices are over 150 a month and some even want a yearly lease on it) - but the Subaru seems clean and is 5 speed with 164k with a 2.2 liter so the head gaskets don't go bad on these like the 2.5s. So it'll make a nice winter daily to keep the galant rust free ^_^

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Make sure the the coolant tests strong, no wicked acidity.
Also the grounds straps need to be in place from each bank head to the corresponding frame rail.
This with time, is what mainly killed the head gaskets, other than overheating.

Double check the seams along the bottom of the head for any coolant and or oil leakage.
Also drive the car in a very tight circle, and at 40-50kmh after a few circles to make sure the front axle cup outers are not
loose and causing clicking, or snappy, and to confirm the inner axle cups are not seized/seizing. Inner cups cause a vibration much like tire imabalance.
If you have a rear bearing noise upon test drive (very evident grind with the older interiors on Subaru), suspect taking apart the rear knuckles to press out
the bearing. They use a long bolt across the bottom that can leave you stuck if the car is at all rusty. Machine shop stuck after taking the rear subframe stuck .....
This is the where you need to know how rusty those long trailing arm bolts are, and what every else is creeping up in short order.
I've had a few runins with the older rear bearings ............ I avoid touching them like the plague! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Other than that, should be a blast!

Last edited:

Tommyd

With that 2.2 I dont forsee you having any issues. EJ22 are probably the most reliable subie engine made.

WesternMD_VR4

Not to jack thread but my buddy is in process of converting his to Jdm. He has everything from a donor car. I have more pics of everything else but won't upload everything. It's nice to see more of these in the country now

dkvr4

Nice!! Where was he able to find a donor car? Would come in handy to know if I ever need to buy anything

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned