The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

and now 452 is down for the count

Kibby

Take it out. Do some loggin. No cel knock no boom. Park it check fluid levels all good. Go back out and it feels like she went all motor. Come home. Dipstick popped up and oil everywhere. Just my luck I guess. Parking it n walking away for a bit. So stressed ive almost smoked a pack of cigs already. Tranny needs a rebuild engine needs a rebuild. Underbody work fender work more fuel bigger turbo. Easily 10g to do it all right. Im on the fence with this one. I got 71 miles out of it after the harness swap whoopty doo. Smh.

Jesus_Negros

These things have been kicking ass lately.

EMX5636

Even mine after 5 or 6 years took out a HG yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sounds like a month or so of bad luck.

Kibby

Ha month. Its been downhill since I bought it. I wish I would have just kept my 240. The time and money between buying it and the parts would have built that more reliably than this turd.

EMX5636

Well if u build them right, they can be reliable. Mine has over 20k miles over the last 5-6 years and has never been apart. The HG was my own fault as I didn't get out of it when it started to break up. Plugs are old and probably fouled from winter and easy driving.

MellowVR4

Quoting Kibby:
Ha month. Its been downhill since I bought it. I wish I would have just kept my 240. The time and money between buying it and the parts would have built that more reliably than this turd.

I've been up and down... and up and down some more with these cars. Dont give up, I almost did, but never did.

transparentdsm

i have almost 20k on mine since it's rebuild in May and its super reliable, drove it from PA to Tahoe in July without any issues and still driving it around almost daily. now the only issue i have is i bought and installed a cheap transmission, so now I need to install a different one. car still runs and drives right now, you just need to be easy on the 1-2 shift and the 3-2 shift.

EfiniX

Quoting Kibby:
Take it out. Do some loggin. No cel knock no boom. Park it check fluid levels all good. Go back out and it feels like she went all motor. Come home. Dipstick popped up and oil everywhere. Just my luck I guess. Parking it n walking away for a bit. So stressed ive almost smoked a pack of cigs already. Tranny needs a rebuild engine needs a rebuild. Underbody work fender work more fuel bigger turbo. Easily 10g to do it all right. Im on the fence with this one. I got 71 miles out of it after the harness swap whoopty doo. Smh.

Take heart! My '92 came to me barely running. Bad injector burned up the #3. Fused the plug to the head and ovaled out the cyl.

For me, it was only about $6k and I've not only got a new motor and head (courtesy of BogusSVO), refreshed tranny (TheDSMGuy), and short-shifter (EH Motorsports), 264/264 regrinds (Delta Cam), and other little bits.

You are right to ask, though. I knew what I was getting into, I let my mechanic (EH Motorsports) tell me what to buy, and I rented a car for a month ($450). If you go quick and/or cheap, you're liable to get into the mess the previous owner of my rig got into. 7 years on and the project was an unfinished hack-job.

Do it once. Do it right. Pay your mechanic on time in cash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kibby

The plan was to go all out next year. 2.3 stroker built head tre tranny hta86?? I think was the one I was eye ballin. Just happened a bit too fast after fixing it. Sitting for over a year then breaking down in less than a week demotivates me.

362Ryan

The sad reality is that the car is a +20 year old Mitsubishi. That usually comes with 15 years of someone trying to make it go as fast as possible while spending next to nothing to do it. So things tend to be cobbled together and not well thought out mostly with cheap or secondhand parts.
If I had to make a guess, there are only a handful of these cars left that have not been messed up in one way or another. That you could go down a
checklist that everything works as it should and the car runs, drives and looks like it should. Good luck finding one of those. And if you do, please let me know how much you paid for it.

coyotes

I bought mine from the original owner, unmodified with service records and no rust for 4k. Granted there were still plenty of things to fix. Still working on it. But most of my money has gone into maintenance and not modification.

Kibby

I had records I believe from 56000 miles to 110000. Oil changes suspension tires etc. At 110ish new engine was installed at a mitsubish dealership. The vehicle was mostly stock just a 2g maf dsmlink 550's and a 16g turbo. It was only running 11psi. All the way to stock intercooler and exhaust. But idk how much it was beaten on from the previous owner. I wouldnt figure an engine with 78k would just give out like it did. But ive had bad experiences with new cars. He rigged the rear ps lines with zip ties and said he plugged them but all he did was zip tie rags on the ends. 2nd gear clunks into gear and he told me if you launch it it slips in 1st. So I can only assume maximum dsm abuse lol.

92_talon_awd

Quoting 362Ryan:
The sad reality is that the car is a +20 year old Mitsubishi. That usually comes with 15 years of someone trying to make it go as fast as possible while spending next to nothing to do it. So things tend to be cobbled together and not well thought out mostly with cheap or secondhand parts.
If I had to make a guess, there are only a handful of these cars left that have not been messed up in one way or another. That you could go down a
checklist that everything works as it should and the car runs, drives and looks like it should. Good luck finding one of those. And if you do, please let me know how much you paid for it.

$4300

Kibby

Im ballparking 15g or less depending on how deep i wanted to go. Still waiting to work on my truck n get some fundage.

MRmeeTooxD

Wow join the party. My vr4 has a issue.. idle is all screwed up . And for a 2 days straight my trans was becoming hard to engage in each gear. Then suddenly after a 3 hr drive. I reach a light and no gears would work. So what I did was push clutch down start car on first gear since it worked when it was off. Suddenly it makes a noise as if my throw out bearing is grinding again the flywheel. Fucked up thing is that it was brand new oem miss u from extreme psi -___-

manikbastrd

Quoting coyotes:
I bought mine from the original owner, unmodified with service records and no rust for 4k. Granted there were still plenty of things to fix. Still working on it. But most of my money has gone into maintenance and not modification.

+1 on this, same here except I am working on maintenance and modification. I don't like replacing a stock part with a stock part unless the stock was better...hence new turbo and exhaust etc etc etc

transparentdsm

Quoting MRmeeTooxD:
Wow join the party. My vr4 has a issue.. idle is all screwed up . And for a 2 days straight my trans was becoming hard to engage in each gear. Then suddenly after a 3 hr drive. I reach a light and no gears would work. So what I did was push clutch down start car on first gear since it worked when it was off. Suddenly it makes a noise as if my throw out bearing is grinding again the flywheel. Fucked up thing is that it was brand new oem miss u from extreme psi -___-

if its an oem mitsu i bet your clutch disc springs are what are making the noise.

diambo4life

My old Talon was pretty reliable I would say. It was my only car for a good two years. It had to be. Seriously, after I built it, I only replaced the head gasket once and never took the valve cover off. I raced it at least twice a month. However, the transmission was another thing. I must have gone through 10 of them during that time. Stout engine, shitty drivetrain.

Don't be down. Just make a plan and do a budget (quality) build. Don't be suckered into buying the most expensive thing out there. You don't want to start parting out the car halfway through the build. Happens all the time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts