The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

and now 452 is down for the count

Kibby

Left to right 135 150 150 135 compression.

EfiniX

Quoting Kibby:
Take it out. Do some loggin. No cel knock no boom. Park it check fluid levels all good. Go back out and it feels like she went all motor. Come home. Dipstick popped up and oil everywhere. Just my luck I guess. Parking it n walking away for a bit. So stressed ive almost smoked a pack of cigs already. Tranny needs a rebuild engine needs a rebuild. Underbody work fender work more fuel bigger turbo. Easily 10g to do it all right. Im on the fence with this one. I got 71 miles out of it after the harness swap whoopty doo. Smh.

I got a refreshed transmission and a new motor for less than $6k done and on the road. Don't lose heart!

Kibby

Well I guess ill tell the back story to my 10+g reasoning. My buddy and I have been having a pissing contest for about a year now and I had, at least thought, I was ready to go. Hes got a 325hp crx atm though he could go as high as 450 on pump, higher on race. I just wanted to shut him up and was hoping the 16g with supporting mods and being awd would be enough but since it broke hes been pestering me. My goal down the road was hta86 on e85. Enough to keep him quiet for good. Im thinking about just doing the bare minimum on the tranny or a stage 2 and some pistons and rods. Then see if the 16g is enough. I doubt he'll ever get to the full potential of his turbo as hes just about out of funds atm. I however havent started clicking the mouse and hsve some money saved up. Its all in good fun but this is like a thorn in my side with decisions.

EfiniX

Well I doubt the 16g will get you anywhere close to his CRX. Those thing are light as hell (and just as scary when they go fast). If you are trying to match his numbers, you're probably better off with a bigger turbo and a few supporting mods over a ton of mods and squeezing every bit of life out of the 16g. That being said, I'm sure there's varying schools of thought. I've got a T3 04 on my rig (similar to a 20g) and I figure I'll get 400 @ the crank after a tune this Friday on the dyno at English. That being said, if I'm seeing even 350 of that at the wheels, I wouldn't be able to touch a 325hp CRX. power to weight is just too far off.

Here's my suggestion. If you want to shut him up, then don't let him bait you. You've got a very rare car with all wheel drive. Tell him to sit on that. Besides, it sounds like he put no small amount of work into his rig, so give him props and let it go.

As for you, go read my build thread. The absolute one takeaway you should have is this: make a plan and don't cut corners. Start with a budget, scope out the work, find a place to do the work, then start putting together parts lists, pricing, etc... Before I even started on my rig I had a budget and a spreadsheet showing what I knew was already on the car, what needed to get done, and lists of parts and vendors. That's before I started any work.

My car came to me for free after the PO spent 8 years tossing good money after bad trying to get the car built up. He had no plan aside from "go fast". It came to me with a bunch of neat parts , zero tuning, and an obvious lack of direction. Big turbo with a stock intercooler. Big injectors with no engine management. Chewed up transmission with the wrong gear oil. Hacks like the radiator fan was always on (a racing mod he was told) and the clutch switch was disabled (something to do with the launch control that never worked). It bucked and knocked and eventually died. But I knew this going in and made a plan.

His mistake was to do things cheap, one at a time. He chose performance over maintenance and it left him unsatisfied.

If you want to drop $10k on a galant, you can do what he did and just buy a finished project for that much. Or you can do what I did and build it up yourself for half that and not have to own someone else's issues (and they all have issues).

Good luck!

Kibby

He went down the track on friday. Finally and im not suprised He clicked off a 13.94 @116. I think im faster than that. Lol I warned him about an open dif and street tires. Like goku says whats the point of having all that power if you cant move.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned