The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator

Brianawd

So how long does yours last you. 3 Years ago the alternator went bad in the galant. So I got a new Bosch reman. That one lasted me, just a little over 1 year. Because its a Bosch, there is a life time warranty so I got a new one. Now this one is having problems. Its doing the same thing the last one did and just starts dropping voltage slowly, when I start driving. It will go from 14.2-3 volts to 13.0 by the time I get to work. It also every now and then will just drop volts to 11.5volts. When are they going to be able to make a alternator for our cars that don't have voltage regulator problems. I f***ing hate pulling the alternator.

2of9

one lasted only 6 months because of this:
DSC03162.jpg

ugh..hate winter. anyways, previous one lasted about 2 years. I didnt remove the heat shield until i put that^ one in. I want the relocation kit but it seems much easier this way. The one I currently is holding up so far, also a remanufacture.

slobra

I replaced my alternator in August, it died 4 months after I bought the car and so far so good but I've noticed the volts a little lower then usual lately.

I had my other alternator rebuilt but buying an oem and not having to replace it every year sounds great!

CarRacer

I made this to prevent the heat from the downpipe killing the alternator. Heat and electronics don't get along. Hopefully it extends the life of the alternator.

Brianawd

Quote:
Get an OEM one if you're tired of replacing them. click

You can't. Mitsu does not sell the replacement 90amp alternator any more. All you can get is a 75amp 1g and those ones are all reman factory alternator. Mitsu does not sell brand new never used alternators for our cars any more

gtluke

I'm on #9 in my car. I've had the car I think 8.5 years.
2 of them were DOA though, so really I had 6 actually die on me. I drive my car a lot though.

turbowop

The Bosch in 1051 is still going strong since '04. The car doesn't get that many miles on it though.

The alternator in 503 is a factory unit that Erik had rebuilt way back in '03 and it's still doing great. That car has gone through a lot of miles since then as well. I have the receipt sitting here. He took it to PMX Inc Custom Alternators & Starters in Portland, Brian. It says they put in a HD regulator, but I can't read the rest of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Charged him $152 total. Maybe try them since they're local to you?

Brianawd

Quote:
The Bosch in 1051 is still going strong since '04. The car doesn't get that many miles on it though.

The alternator in 503 is a factory unit that Erik had rebuilt way back in '03 and it's still doing great. That car has gone through a lot of miles since then as well. I have the receipt sitting here. He took it to PMX Inc Custom Alternators & Starters in Portland, Brian. It says they put in a HD regulator, but I can't read the rest of it. Charged him $152 total. Maybe try them since they're local to you?

I may try that if this alternator takes a sh*t. I went with the bosch because of the life time warranty. Who knows maybe the 3rd time is the charm.

4thStroke

I didnt know ours came with a 90amp from the factory. I went with the 75amp when I replaced mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Factory one wasnt doing too well, so I replaced it before it completely went out when the motor was pulled.

Terry Posten

I have a new "Autozone" unit sitting on the shelf. Just chillin until needed.

I bought a parts donor car from a police auction and it had a brand new Autozone unit in it and the recept in the trunk.

Each time mine fails, I swap in the one on the shelf and take the dead one to Autozone for replacement shelf stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can do a swap in about 20 minutes.

Just remove the 2 upper radiator mounts and lift/slide the rad over to the passengerside. Then the Alt will lift striaght out the top.

kartorium

Mine seem to last me at least a couple years. I have two OEM units that I get rebuilt by a guy out in the country, seems to work well, just switching off and on.

1badgvr4

Get the Saturn alt and be done with it. Heat is what kills the alt and the saturn has a fan on the pulley and is rated at 95amps.A couple guys on my local forums put them on and haven't had a problem since.

Brianawd

Well got the new alternator in today. So far so good. Right now I get 14.0-14.4 volts just driving around with every thing off. With every thing on like the heater/Lights/driving lights/radio the car sits right at 13.5-13.6volts.

Get a rebuild from a local alternator shop instead of from a chain autoparts store. They tend to do better quality work and can also rewind to higher output.
Mike R.

Jostar

Yup... I got mine rebuilt by a shop & it hasn't had any problems & this is the 5th year on the car..

anyone know if i can run 0 gauge cable right from the alt, and run it to the battery and not have to hook up the 2 oem wires to the alt? Mine now are very hurt up and just want to run 0 gauge to the battery and keep the 2 from the oem harness unhooked. I think hertz did it this way i am unsure though.

14u2nV

That's awful big wire, I'd go with 4 or maybe 2. you will be bypassing the fuse if you do it that way IIRC.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

+1 on rebuild, and generally much cheaper than buying a chain store alternator. I paid $86.10, after tax, for mine vs a remanufactured one from advance is close to $200.

Ive paid no more than 90 for an alternator through O'reillys. Does the remans from the shop give you a lifetime warranty? Id rather have the lifetime warranty. Mine has lasted two years now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned