The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator rubbing issue!!!!!

adamvr4

i just installed the alternator relocation kit and everything looks good but when i started the car i heard a rubbing noise, looked and the nut on the pulley is rubbing againt the frame of the car. Is it going to rub itself out or should i grind down the frame?

Terry Posten

A friends Talon did that also, we took the alt off and grinded down the shaft stub and nut a very small bit.

JSchleim18

Mine didn't rub and that was with the larger Saturn alternator with the external fan...

slugsgomoo

is it the jay racing kit? are you using the inner or outer pulley on the crank? I believe only one of them has an issue with rubbing?

If you can move it back you might find that's all you need, otherwise people have massaged the frame with a big hammer there in the past, or a grinder with good results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

broxma

Some Non-OEM alternators have the nut sticking out of the alternator pulley. Mine was very close to the frame rail, probably within 3mm or so. You can either move the alternator to the back position, by putting the spacer on the other side, or grind down the nut/shaft.

If I recall, that is the kit I sold and looking back, I'm not sure if I sent you the belt. I believe the belt that comes with the kit is shorter and pulls the alternator closer to the motor, avoiding the frame rail.

If I sent you a belt, ignore this. If I didn't, PM me your address, I'll find out which belt it is around here, and mail it off to you.

/brox

rexwagon1909

I installed the Jays racing relocation kit with saturn alternator and saw with the spacer (for the bolt to run thru) pushed the pulley againist the frame. I ground the spacer about the thickness of a standard washer or two and then added a washer the other side of the bolt closet to the block. This gave me enough clearance and allowed me to fit the belt on sideways around the pulley. It has worked perfect and isnt crooked at all...Hope that helps

WaRrIoRs16

I had this issue too. I ditched the provided spacer and used washers on both side of the alternator until it was where it didn't rub and the belt was still straight.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned