The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator issue

mcbride89

Well today the car took a crap, I took the alternator out and had it tested at a reputable alternator rebuilder and it all checked out okay. The wire running to the pigtail were pretty jacked up so I snipped it off and rewired it. Still the same problem. I check the alternator relay(?) under the good. The diode and resister checked out fine on the mutlimeter.. Am I missing something? It's getting pretty old fixing little sh*t like this -_-

Ant

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Details. What is it doing? Readings?

raptorWagon

Quoting mcbride89:
Well today the car took a crap, I took the alternator out and had it tested at a reputable alternator rebuilder and it all checked out okay. The wire running to the pigtail were pretty jacked up so I snipped it off and rewired it. Still the same problem. I check the alternator relay(?) under the good. The diode and resister checked out fine on the mutlimeter.. Am I missing something? It's getting pretty old fixing little sh*t like this -_-

Ant

Yes more details! Voltage readings?

mcbride89

Sorry guys, with key in on position I've got 12.5 volts. When on it drops. Lights on it drops to 11.58 .57 and so on. Before I left today I didn't get a chance to check at the alt. the battery is brand new and I put it on charge so tomorrow I can start fresh again. I'll be checking at the alt tomorrow as well.

Is there in alternator fuse under the dash? I'm thinking the field isn't getting the 12 volts.

Ant

acidrumz

Engine running you should see voltage near 14.
Hows your belt tension? should be on tight with some deflection but not riduclously tight.

prove_it

I have had alternators not charge on the car buy test good. These alternators are very touchy and since they see a lot of heat from the exhaust I wouldn't doubt its fried. Oem is the only way to go.

ApexHunter

^ I've had similar experience.

I went through 3 parts store reman's. 2 Duralasts from auto zone, then 1 from a so-called expert rebuilder that a buddy referred me to. Galant killed the first two Duralast's outright. They tested dead on the bench. The 3rd would test OK on the bench but couldn't hang in the engine bay. I also suspect heat based on the progressive (yet quick) nature with which they all died. For the record, I was and I am using the lower heatshield.

Finally i got a grungy looking, god-only-knows-how-many-miles OEM unit from a buddy. Threw it in a year ago, no problems since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
I had this dilemma a few years ago when I first bought the gvr4. I had one of the local zonerilley's and it died quite quickly. Then i paid for the Bosch and that one died too. I realized it was a heat related issues. So they replaced the dead Bosch since it was under warranty and I've had no issue for the past 2 years.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts