The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator/Battery/Electrical

So im having some really weird issues with my 91 galant gsx. The battery is no longer chargeing will driving and is actually being drained while i drive. I replaced the battery and all of the terminals i also cleaned the ones that i couldn't remove. I took the alternator and had it tested at kragens and they said it was fine the guy tested it twice for me. Im now stuck on what could cause this i relocated the battery to the trunck over a year ago and this is the first time i have had so many issues with the electrical system. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen?

beaner

Take it to another place to be tested. Then take it to another place. You might be surprised at the 'accuracy' of the testing.

Adorsey

Definatly do that^, and make sure its not cut somewhere, also any other wires from the plug.
I purchased a bad alternator once. funny when youre stuck in this type of situation, and your trying to narrow things down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Go over your wiring setup to the truck, start with the easy things, you know.

holeshotmoe

++ on rechecking the alternator. But if it is okay, then check for +12V battery voltage(car on or off) at the big terminal on the alternator. Not sure how you rewired the battery but...On the stock wiring, it is supplied from the battery through the 100A fuse that's inside the little black fusebox right at the + battery terminal (picture below). If the fuse is blown, you won't have the 12v needed for the alternator field windings so you won't have any output. On the small plug, you should have +12v on one (can't remember which) of the two wires when the ignition is on. I think this one is powered through a fuse and is labeled "Charge" or "Alt" in the under dash fuse box. If either fuse is blown, then you probably have a short on the respective line.
img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts