The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator - B terminal spins when trying to remove nut

Dan D

I'm trying to remove the alternator. All is fine and good except I can't get the output cable off. The terminal itself is a stud with a hex section. This part fastens into the alternator. Then the cable lug slips over it and a nut goes on to secure. When I tried to loosen the nut, the whole terminal stud turns. This is a big problem because the cable goes with it since it is sandwiched in between the nut and terminal.

There isn't enough room to get any sort of wrench in my tool box onto the hex portion of the terminal stud to hold it still while I loosen the little 10mm nut. The terminal lug on the cable has a larger outside diameter than the hex portion and the alternator body guards it pretty well. Anyone had this happen? How did you stop the terminal from spinning to break the nut loose?

steve

Can you notch the stud with a dremel so that you could hold it from spinning with a flathead screwdriver while you loosen the nut?

jepherz

Staff member
Are you trying this from above or below? If you have the fuel filter off, I think you may have a much better shot from below (if memory serves...).

alansupra94

I thought the alternator sits by the OFH and the turbo assembly is pretty close to it. Well that is how it is on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Easiest way I can think of is to just cut it very close to the connector and re-crimp on a new ring style crimp. The wire should have enough play to move 1-2 inches.

I can see why that heat shield is critical. I need to go make one.

Last edited:

Dan D

I hate to cut the wire, but that might be what I do. I was thinking that maybe the other option is to go ahead and remove the mounting hardware, free-up the cable from some of the tie-downs and rotate the now loose alternator around the stud until it comes out. Then I'll be able to use two wrenches to break the nut loose and put the stud back into the alterator.

It's always something. I should kick myself in the teeth every time I utter - this should be quick and simple! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif It jinxs me every time.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting alansupra94:
I thought the alternator sits by the OFH and the turbo assembly is pretty close to it. Well that is how it is on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Whoops! I mean't "OIL" filter, not fuel filter.

bazeng

I cut the wire, removed the alternator, held the alternator in a vice by the b terminal using alloy platesto keep the thread good and fit in a spanner to info the nut

Dan D

I got it! There's just enough exposed thread sticking out to wrap it with glass tape and use my smallest tiny needlenose vise grips to grab. I slipped a 10mm box wrench over the end onto the nut and then clamped on the vise grips to the taped portion of the exposed stud. A good hard squeeze and it let go. No messed up threads either. Gotta love glass tape.

After getting it loose and inspecting it, there's a nick in one of the wires so I'm going to have to cut it and crimp on a new terminal anyway. Oh well.

alansupra94

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting alansupra94:

Whoops! I mean't "OIL" filter, not fuel filter.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif For a second, I was like...do I have a cool relocated alternator? Shot me down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts