The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternate speedo gear

teamhightower

Hi all,

I've search, but could not find a list of alternate speedo gears for the VR-4. I know there are other gears with different ratios out there from different cars (1g, 2g, etc), but can't find a list of what ratio they are. I'd like to get taller tires for my ride and it would be nice to find a taller gear for the speedo so they match better.

Can somebody point me to such a chart?

Thanks in advance.

teamhightower

Nope. This is a chart of the trasmission gear ratios. Not the same as the speedo gears. Searched VFAQ for the speedo gear chart before posting. Heck, I love VFAQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

For my other cars, I have charts that list what years had which speedo gear. That way you can change either the final drive ratio or the tire diameter and still get near the correct rev/mile. I was hoping somebody had already done this for the Galant.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
How tall? I swapped in a gear from a 1g trans. It was used stock for up to 215/50/17 tires which are much taller. I am using 22/45/17.

belize1334

Don't bother. Even if you run something like 225/50/17 (which is HUGE at 25.8" compared to the stock is 24.2") you're only talking about an addition ~7% to your speed. Since speedometers are only accurate to about 5% it's really not worth the effort. Think 80 mph vs. 75 mph for even a grossly oversized tire... it's just not that much of a difference.

teamhightower

Yeah, the 1g looks like a good match.

I know I'm being anal about it. I like to TSD rally the car and the closer the better. Our cars are much better then 5% accuracy, just have to figure out where the needle got pressed on. Anyway, if I didn't rally the car I wouldn't care so much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts