The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alarm going haywire

Back when I got this car, I was having problems with the alarm. I disconnected the alarm horn and eventually spliced the wires in the trunk to disable the alarm. That solved the problem.

One or two years have passed since then and all of a sudden the alarm is acting up again. What happens is you get in the car, put the key in and turn it to on, at which point all of the dash lights flash on and off in an alternating pattern, as well as the interior lights and parking lights. Some relays under the dash also click wildly. This goes on for a minute then stops, then repeats, until I take the key out, at which point it continues until the next stopping point and doesn't start again. If at any time I turn the key to start, everything goes dead. Back to ON and everything's blinking and clicking again.

I checked the trunk wires to make sure they hadn't come undone and they're good. I referred back to this thread and took the following steps:
-cut the yellow/blue wire: no change
-completely disconnected the harnesses for the cruise and etacs modules: no change
I should add that the factory alarm "ready" light (red LED, next to the rear defroster switch) is constantly blinking slowly (car on or off), whereas before it was always on solid.

I'm at a loss on what to check next. Suggestions?

Thanks.

1990ggsxnj

First off, are you sure the battery isn't draining? Sounds like the alarm is still going off even with the horn unplugged. I've never disconnected the alarm but it seems that it's still on. I would quadruple check that the correct wire was cut. Look in the loom and make sure there isn't another possible wire that was supposed to be cut. Have you lost any other function in the car after the cut??

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
I should add that the factory alarm "ready" light (red LED, next to the rear defroster switch) is constantly blinking slowly (car on or off), whereas before it was always on solid.

I'm at a loss on what to check next. Suggestions?

That is not a factory alarm led.

It sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm, and it has awoken from a dormant state.

P.m sent with more info.

ktmrider

+1, my Viper alarm would do the same thing when manually locking the door while open.
I cut the yellow/blue wire and stopped it from happening but like TB mentioned it appears you have an aftermarket alarm that is playing games.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts