The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Air to water IC and Water/Meth injection?

snailspool

AWIC can be up to 100% efficient, or more under the right conditions (ice in the reservoir). Would there be any further benefit running water/meth injection, especially as the mixture may have a hard time vaporizing( and thereby absorbing heat) in room temperature air? My understanding tells me no, but i know we have some knowledgeable folks around these parts. This would be on a BWs200sx around 25-33 PSI and 5500' elevation.

turbowop

Using straight methanol injection, it turns your normal pump gas into a much higher octane mixture, so you can increase the boost and timing even more. So yes, you can make more power even with a AWIC.

cheekychimp

What Mark said. You need to differentiate between the benefits of methanol injection from a charge cooling perspective and from a fuel adder perspective.

Whilst I believe that an AWIC with ice in it is going to be very efficient, I honestly have difficulty believing they are ever truly 100% efficient and even then alcohol/methanol evaporates at ambient. I'm pretty sure there would still be some benefit from the cooling aspect actually (especially correcting for altitude).

That said, as Mark has explained you could also consider 'direct port injection' of the methanol rather than just spraying it downstream from the throttle body. At that point you are helping suppress detonation by adding more fuel which allows you to tune for more boost or lean out your existing fuel mixture. Whether that will help improve your mileage/reduce fuel costs will be dependent upon the cost of your meth relative to the amount of fuel you can save.

But that's all really just a long way of saying ^^^ what he said!

Last edited:

turbowop

I'm not even talking about 'direct port injection'. I spray enough that it becomes a fuel adder to the point that I'm pulling out 18% of my pump gas map when methanol starts spraying. And I'm just using a large nozzle a few inches before the throttle body. At that point, it works as both a charge air chiller, and an added fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Also doing this in a pressurized environment helps remove even more heat, latent heat of evaporation changes, bla bla bla thermodynamics stuff. If it was worth looking up I would pull out my old thermo book but boost pressure 21, 30, 45 is all low pressure, this applies more to the 100 vs 3000 vs 10K psi ranges. But a couple degrees maybe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts