The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket throttle body's which one should I use?

bazeng

I agree you do lose alot of drivability down low if you go too big of tb, but imo they are not the nicest in regards to idle control / fiav if in use with an aftermarket ECU.

The stock tb idle control requires the use of 4 outputs which many older aftermarket ECU's couldn't accomodate for. Anyway, over here in AUS a quick and simple upgrade is the FORD FALCON XF throttle body which can be purchased for about $40.00 AUD. As for IDLE control, it uses a single wire stepper motor.

As for install, it requires a slight port job to the inlet manifold (about 67mm), and the stock studs removed with the installation of a combination of shorter studs and bolts.

But the N/A tb's are a better choice too over stock IMO.

Dialcaliper

Steve at Throttlebodys.com will do 65mm for you (or anything in between that he can make a throttle plate for), but only by special request. According to him, it's a bit of a crapshoot - you have to find a stock TB that came out with a slighly thicker casting than average - if its too thin, it will be too flimsy to torque down, and probably end up cracked. Be prepared to send him several TB's to find one good one though.

Quoting onesickcrx:
Ok I would have to say at this point that you've conviced me to stay stock. I will just bore out my stock throttle body. I was reading That Buschur's cars most of them run stock throttle bodies bored to 65mm. Do we know If anyone bores 65mm 1G throttle bodies?

Polish

Has anyone does a dyno test with the difference between and OEM TB and one that has been bored?

Dialcaliper

I doubt you'll see much difference in actual power on a dyno for any throttle body swap unless you're attempting to push ridiculous amounts of low pressure air through it. It's not like we have tiny little throttle bodies like Hondas come with - any improvement you'll see for a bored TB would be off-boost and part throttle response - things that aren't very easy to measure. You'll see more benefit in that respect with a smaller turbo and lower boost. The larger the turbo, the more the lag/boost recovery will hide any improvement from the throttle body.

Last edited:

onesickcrx

I emailed Steve at throttlebodies.com he had a core in stock so everything was directly purchased from him. I think it looks great. Thank you for all your responses and help with my throttle body purchase. My intake mani comes in this week I can't wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

This is where it get thin in case anyone was intrested Its 63mm here and the snout of the throttle body is 66mm

boostin4door

click
JFYI, This is a nice unit that on of my guys is running on his 10 sec 2g. He's running JMF,3" IC pipe with a PTE6262.
Something to check out for those High HP setups.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned