The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT street disc problems

bmod530

So I have a terrible chatter when starting from a stop in 1st gear. It seems fine in every other gear when moving. I have a ACT HD PP, and a street disc installed. Less than 2000 miles on the setup and my new build. Noticed the problem after the decent from the Rocky Mnt's. Any possible causes you can think of? Anyone experience this before. I know the street disc have a reputation for breaking the spring housings in the center hub. I have a feeling this might be the culprit. Im just not sure what the symptoms of that would be. Thanks for the help.

524of1000

Do you have aftermarket pistons and if so what kind? The reason I ask is because I hear that some brands of pistons may slap against cylinder walls during startup and at times acceleration. Just an idea. HOWEVER yes, there have been people who've had their ACT sprung hubs crack, though I would imagine it would be a bit more severe than chatter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

bmod530

yes....wiseco 1400HD 8.5:1, I do not belive it is pistons slap...and I guess i would describe the noise/feel as more than your normal chatter. That is just the category of noise/feel it fits

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

As far as a sprung hub tossing springs, it really depends how you drive, really. I'm VERY hard on sprung hubs. I've never had one last more than about 3 months. I'm not much for "slipping" the clutch, really. I've had them completely come apart at the rivets, i've had them bust or toss springs, i've even had them break the friction disc free from the hub. I know other people who swear by them and even run 6 puck sprung discs for months and months with no issues. When i DID break them, they behaved much like you're explaining, though. However, it was always obvious as it would happen right after i had dumped the clutch and took off. Next stoplight, the issue would present itself.

bmod530

I was by no means driving hard because I was and still am breaking the engine in. Maybe a bolt came loose to the engine, or it got some oil on it??? I will have to further investigate. What is ACT's policy on returns/warranties? Especially when this is a well know problem on the street disc.

mitsuturbo

What break-in process are you following? By my standards, engine should be "broken in" in about 50 miles or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I dont know what ACT's policy is, but for the price of a friction disc, i never worried about it. The only problem i've run into with solid hubs is one time i had the splines strip out of the hub. I put a LOT of miles on that disc though.

bmod530

200 miles, change oil, 2000 miles, change oil, broken in. Im going to call ACT tomorrow.

beefajita

An ACT clutch BROKE the FORK for the trow out bearing under normal use, and a correct install, in my first GVR4.
ACT in my humble opinion is crap.
I have installed several ACTs in everything from civic to STIs to 240s for customers, there is about a 50% chance there will be a problem. Many times the extra pressure ACT is soo proud of causes a rear seal to wear prematurely, or the crank to walk against it's journals. On my GVR4 there was an ACT under the shep tranny the previous owner had installed. The clutch pedal was always too hard to push.
All the other clutches, even the twin disk available for these cars dont dramatically increase the clutch pedal resistance for the driver.
Why does every ACT? In EVERY application?
Because ACT is crap.

mikus

So ACT is responsible both for an undiagnosed noise, and failure of an OEM part that was upgraded due to high failure rates.

Barnes

I don't like ACT products that much either, but Mikus is right on the money with this one.

mitsuturbo

Quoting bmod530:
200 miles, change oil, 2000 miles, change oil, broken in. Im going to call ACT tomorrow.

I subscribe to the motoman school of thought when it comes to breaking in an engine.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting mikus:
So ACT is responsible both for an undiagnosed noise, and failure of an OEM part that was upgraded due to high failure rates.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

From my experiences, I wouldnt use anything else then an ACT pressure plate. I also prefer their flywheels also. Their disks on the other hand, I have never been a fan of. They wear fast, I'm not a clutch rider but i have had act disks wear on me really fast, and i have had a 6 puck sprung disk start chattering really bad on my after a few launches. If it turns out to be your clutch disk, i recomend you keeping your act pressure plate, and go to TMZ Performance for one of their discs. You will be very satisfied.

This is what an ACT 2600 did to my thrust bearing in about 20,000 miles. Destroyed my crank and caused some other problems as well. I will never own another ACT product in my life.

A lot of people have good experiences with them though....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned