The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

act pressure plate problems

gvr4144

Act pressure plate was applying pressure unevenly would not allow me to get in gear. Pulled transmission and there is heat marks on half but not obvious bent fingers or signs to why it was doing that. Has anyone else has this problem with an act pressure plate?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would check the flywheel myself personally. If the clutch plate mounting surfaces are not even you could have this.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You have some lovely heat/scorch markings in two spots on the insert of that flywheel, not to mention as you said the uneven appearance of heat markings on the pressure plate disc.

Place the pressure plate down on flat surface, confirmed flat, very flat. Measure from the surface to the bottom surface of the pressure plate bolt tabs (underside facing the table now).

I am wondering if we can tell with a single stroke if the pressure plate apply springs (3?) could be weak or one out of spec.

Sure is a hell of a lot of heat going on in there.

Is this combination new?

If you can setup a dial indicator on the flywheel friction surface, and then measure it in five different locations (without moving the dial indicator - just rotate the flywheel) then we can tell if the flywheel has some abnormal lateral runout like a brake rotor exhibits.

Check your crankshaft end play while you are in there for shoots and giggles. This also makes use of a dial indicator.

gvr4144

I've ran the setup for about 15k. All the tabs match the others. It looks like it would be completely functional, I was hoping someone else have seen this, with there where the pressure plat looks fine but is faulty. I'll check out my fly wheel more tomorrow.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just a theory, but something may have been sightly off always, and with heat, distortion has made it worse to the point you are now getting more slip, then more heat etc.

gvr4144

My clutch has never slipped since I had the car and the disk looks real good so I am curious about the heat. I'm ordering a new pressure plate going to bolt on the tranny and look through the inspection cover and see if its applying pressure crooked, like it was when before I pulled the tranny.

ghostinthevr4

I wonder if your in the beginning phase of the problem I had with an act 2600 pp. I had 3 clutch fingers go out on me, which made it impossible to shift, I hope you checked everything in the clutch system like no leaks proper clutch adjustment with no drag.

Last edited:

gvr4144

Yeah through the basics again and again I may replace the lines just cuz. Also, did it gradually start giving you problems when that happended?

ghostinthevr4

I had the same problem as you I couldn't get it into gear I pulled the transmission and that's what I found. I noticed it was getting harder and harder to shift then one day it wouldn't I also heard one of the clutch fingers rolling around inbetween the flywheel and the pressure plate, I didn't know what the noise was until I pulled the transmission.

You can see in the picture that the finger left a groove in the clutch disc.

Contact ACT and explain the situation in a appropriate manner they'll make it right, I filed an RMA and got a new pp and disc I had to buy my own flywheel since it was a fidanza. They've been known to have a bad batch of pressure plates out there. I probably didn't need to buy a new surface for the flywheel but I did it anyways better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

gvr4144

Well it was the pressure plate even though there was no obvious sings of spring wear or finger issues, cars shifting better then ever. I did email act and explain the situationnow that I know it was the pressure plate so we'll see. Thanks guys..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts