The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS running when car isn't

92_talon_awd

Had to go over some rough downhill dirt terrain yesterday and the ABS was going off like crazy. The strangeness started when I got back on the tarmac and headed home because the ABS light stayed on for the whole drive. I even turned off the car at a red light but it came back.

When I got home and parked the car, I heard a noise that sounded like a big fuel pump coming from the front, popped the hood and the ABS unit was running. I disconnected the cable/fusebox from the positive for the ABS and alternator and left it off all night.

Put it back this morning, no more light and ABS isn't running continously. What went wrong?

BpuVR4

check the relays for the abs. happened to me one time, pulled out the relay that was buzzing and it stopped it.

92_talon_awd

So you had relays buzzing when it happened? Was the ABS pump running too?

Last edited:

BpuVR4

yea, the pump was running. this was quite awhile ago...i think it might've drained my battery also. I don't recall where the relays are (might be in the fuseblock next to battery, one of them might stick open. I'm sure someone can correct me if that's not where it is, and don't quote me on the relay buzzing too, now that i think about it, like i say it was awhile ago. but easy/cheap place to start looking.

92_talon_awd

Okay, at first I looked around for a relay, couldn't find one so I looked under the hood. The only thing I could find marked ABS was the fuse at the (+) terminal fusebox. I'm just wondering why this happened because if my ABS is dying I'd rather rip it out now and be done with it. If it's a one time thing then I'm fine letting it be for now.

I didn't hear any buzzing though, just the steady sound of the ABS pump, like a big wally.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

wish i could help a little better. only other thing that comes to mind, is check above the fusebox under the dash on the driver's side...there should be a couple relays there, and i'm sure there is a diagram on the fusebox lid.

92_talon_awd

Yeah, that's where I looked last night, nothing that says ABS on it. Maybe on the underside...I'll have a look. If nothing else I can ID the relay and pull it instead of messing with the battery if it happens again. Thanks

Last edited:

BpuVR4

you can also just unplug the actual abs motor...at least until you find the culprit.

92_talon_awd

Yeah, if it happens again I'll start looking for a non-abs prop valve and some lines lol. I hate the ABS on these old Vr4's and DSM's but if it isn't bothering me, I won't bother it. If it starts bothering me though.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned