The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS problems..

bigandbad

Hello @ all...
I've a problem with my ABS - maybe someone has had the same and can help me...
I bought my car some month ago, and everything was fine...
The first time I run at the Autobahn it drove normally.
After some days the Autobahn was empty - and I pushed it. When I drove around 100 mph, I had to brake because a truck drove into my lane...
It felt like stepping on a brick - the pedal was hard like a stone. I tried to brake harder, but suddenly the complete car was beginning to shake, it started to lurch and I needed all 3 lanes to get it under control...
No ABS light flashed...
I tried it again - at 70, 80, 90 mph everything was okay..
At 95 mph it startet shaking again.
I disconnected the ABS ECU, the ABS light at the instrument panel was glowing, and even at 130 mph the brake system was for 100% safe.
With ABS it's quite impossible to drive.
I noticed that some wires from the sensors habe been repaired, and a previous owner added an extra cable to the relais of the ABS pump, seems the harness has a break. But up to 90 mph the ABS is fully functionable, the self testing shows no problems and no problems are in the storage...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have not heard of symptoms like that before. Hard pedal sounds like some failure of solenoids in the hydraulic units perhaps, although when mine went bad I had a soft pedal that would go to the floor the first application.

The shaking and uneven braking seems like a sensor reading issue. Any damage to your sensor rings?

bigandbad

I checked the rings. They where very rusty, so I brushed and cleaned them. No cracks, only minor really small spots of detoriation. Cleaned and adjusted the sensors, too. First two or three miles the ABS light was on, after a new start it vanished. ABS tested on gravel road, up to 80 mph full functionable as it should. Some wires looks like the precios owner had some problems and solded them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts