The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS Delete Kit from STM

VR_IV_MR

I just called up STM to ask if their 1g ABS Delete Kit would work on the VR4. Of course, the non-abs prop valve is the one I need. The question is whether or not the lines are the same length as the 1g cars. They said that they were not sure since they never installed it on the VR4. They are willing to mail me the kit and give a refund if the kit doesn't work out, but I was hoping maybe someone here could shed some insight on if it is a direct fit or if I would need to fabricate my old lines.

click

DynastyLCD

being that you can take 1g DSM non-ABS lines and prop valve, and bolt it onto a GVR4, i don't see why this would be any different.

i'd probably just opt for the 1g DSM non-ABS lines, as they will look like factory and perform just as good, without the major expense.

SmoothCustomer

Yes, 1g DSM lines will fit and as he said, you are far better off buying factory 1g stuff for this. A used prop valve from a yard or forum, and brand new factory brake lines (which can be gotten from JNZ) won't cost you more than $100.

LIV4PSI

I paid $10 for my ABS delete from a local junkyard, used prop valve of course. I can't see the SS lines being worth an extra $170, when the stock lines are metal anyways.

raptorWagon

No worry of accidentally kinking the metal lines, cleaner look imo and easier to disconnect if needed. Old lines sometimes don't like to cooperate and instead twist as you are breaking loose the hose end off the valve or MC. If you ran dual Master cylinders on a brake pedal with a balance bar, then there would be no need for a prop valve or a booster in that case lol.

Vr4junkie

What is the point of removing the ABS some one shed some light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

thecman02

Some points to removing the ABS are:

-Weight loss. I forget how much but it was very significant.
-switching to 4 bolt lsd rear end/ 5 lug swap the speed sensor rings don't match stock and deactivates it too, so you have to source four matching rings or just delete
-looks nicer without the busy look of the ABS.

On topic. I wish someone would go through the trouble or figuring out what fittings STM uses in their kit. I get these fittings at cost and could assemble the kit for around $100.

SouthCaliVR4

You left out ABS (anti braking system) will at some point try to kill you!!! there have been many threads on the subject. If it worked for sh*t I'd have left it in my car.

DynastyLCD

my first 1g came with brake fluid, as the ABS unit leaked constantly... that was reason enough for me.

IMO, the bay looks a LOT cleaner without those 4 lines going from the firewall to the nose on the driver's side

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting thecman02:
On topic. I wish someone would go through the trouble or figuring out what fittings STM uses in their kit. I get these fittings at cost and could assemble the kit for around $100.

Looks like they are all probably 10x1.0 to -3 AN to me. Typically SS brake lines are -3 size.

thecman02

Thanks. I'll pick up one initially to verify and then if it is legit I'll build a list for everyone. It might be a little while before I do it though.

raptorWagon

Quoting iceman69510:

Looks like they are all probably 10x1.0 to -3 AN to me. Typically SS brake lines are -3 size.

Though STM usually prices things more than other places, it's probably about right for this setup, considering those SS braided lines should be teflon lined for use with the brake system. Teflon lined AN hoses are a little more expensive than regular ones, you would normally use for oil or fuel, because they are made for high pressure systems like brakes.

thecman02

Oh yeah. I'm not arguing that it isn't a fair price for the product. Its just that I have access to distribution prices on some items and this is one of them. Some people probably wouldn't save much by piecing together the kit themselves.

VR_IV_MR

reasons I am deleting it:

-I remember reading somewhere how the old ABS system isn't necessarily well designed and you are better off pumping yourself.
-Horror stories on the forums
-Engine bay space and cleaner look (even though I'm keeping cruise control and air conditioning)
-Weight loss (whatever)

VR_IV_MR

and for the record, what I decided to do was buy a prop valve from JNZ for $90 and have the shop doing the work to fab the lines for me- I assume they are going to be in the same $ range as STM

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts