The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS cv joint/axle?

fastasleep

So, ever since I changed my CV joint (axle) on the front passenger side, my ABS would freak out, so I just unplugged it and have been living without it for quiet some time. A friend of mine commented that I probably didn't get an "ABS axle," which is causing my ABS sensor (vehicle speed sensor?) to freak out.

Is this a possibility? Is there even such a thing as an ABS axle that could cause my ABS to wig out?

Barnes

Certain cars have the splined ring on the axle itself. This is not the case with our cars. The splined ring is behind the hub where the wheel mounts. You should NOT have done anything to affect the ABS. You did not remove the ABS sensor from the hub during the install by any chance? Other possibilities include bumping during install.

fastasleep

I may have removed it, and by removed, I mean that I unbolted it from its affixed location to the hub, but reattached it after install. And even then, I replaced it at a later did thinking that I may have damaged it during the axle install, but experienced the same issue.

Barnes

That is your problem right there. You need to readjust it so the clearance is correct. When I replaced my front right hub I never rechecked the clearance. The ABS went nuts and would actuate ANY time I hit the brakes. I'm pretty sure what happened is the sensor is too far away from the ring. The sensor doesn't see anything, figures it is between splines, and thinks the wheel is locked up.

I'm not 100% sure if that is how it works, but I would bet money you just need to adjust your sensor.

jepherz

Staff member
In my experience, I had one of the sensors too far out. The ECU knew that the sensor was "bad" in this case and just put the ABS light permanently on. However, it may be possible to have the sensor out of adjustment just enough to just trick the ecu and cause the problems you are having.

I'm not aware of the adjustment procedure, but when mine was giving me problems I just adjusted it to get as close as I could without ever hitting the splines on the ABS ring.

fastasleep

Quoting BarnesMobile:
The ABS went nuts and would actuate ANY time I hit the brakes.

That's exactly what it does.

When it warms up, I suppose I'll jack it up, take the wheel off, and try to position it as close to the splines without touching and see if that fixes it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
There is a spec, but i don't remember it. Should be in the SM though.

evo8ya

As said before, sounds like the sensor is incorrectly spaced causing the ABS to freak out. Loosen it up and move it closer, but be careful not to move it too close as it will contact the ABS ring.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts