The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

About to tackle first timing belt replacement

dammitjim

No clue on that. Neither of them looks worn. What would I look for there?

Both surfaces look perfectly flat. Let get some pics.

Last edited:

dammitjim

The arm has a metal ring on the back that doesn't appear to be worn. The mount looks ok. It seems like a normal condition for these two parts.

photo%2B1-761415.JPG

photo%2B2-763043.JPG

pauleyman

Something isn't right. I'd take that motor mount off and look at it. The pivot arm is pressed in and should be flush with the back. One more thing...how long is that bolt? make sure it's the correct bolt and not bottoming out before it actually tightens the washer down. From the picture the pivot looks to be above the arm. It should be nearly dead flush. Easy to procure another one if necessary.

dammitjim

I got the car back together a few days ago and it is running great. HUGE thanks to everyone that helped out with the timing belt change, the job is much less intimidating now. Not counting balance shafts or a water pump I could probably knock the next one out in 4-6 hours.

Also, maroonmetallic stopped buy with another tensioner arm + mount and it had similar play to the one on my car. Neither shows wear where the arm contacts the mount and both had the correct mounting hardware. I suspect the play is a normal condition and looks worse in the video than it really is.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned