The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A proper build thread for 1501

LIV4PSI

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Craig. I have been the owner of 1501 for about a year now. My brother owned it for about 4 months before me, and my best friend Mark for about a year previous to that. I knew when Mark bought it, it would eventually be mine. My little brother started an introduction thread, which I basically took over and have been using as a build thread. Since the car is back on jack stands again, I decided its time to do things right.

Here is my introduction thread, if anyone wants to check out previous cars and such LIV4PSI newbie intro

Now onto 1501. Its all started about two years ago when my friend Mark listed his Jeep Cherokee for sell/trade on Craigslist. His first offer was for a Galant VR4. Here is the car when he got it. The only mods were an HID headlights, HKS turbo timer, and an improperly installed HKS BOV. At this point we knew we were saving it from a ricer. Here are some shots of the Jeep, and the 1501 when we first got it

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

The first thing Mark did to it was paint the chrome grill bllack, since we both hated the chrome. In retrospect, I wish I would have talked him into painting it body color. He also gave the car a much need cleaning

When we picked it up, the only known issues were a bad rear wheel bearing and of course the 4WS was leaking everywhere. No surprise there. Within a short time, the first thing broke under our ownership, the oil return line

Mark being overly anxious to start modding (much more maintenance was needed), he started with a 2G downpipe and some wheels I had laying around from a 2000 Sentra I parted out. He kept the stockish look, and painted them Summit White.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Our next step was to get rid of the horrible stock intercooler setup. I had an old school Apexi hybrid core laying around from an FD I parted out that I let Mark use. I also had alot of random piping and couplers laying around, so we just used what we had for free, and I think it came out decent. Although I wish he wouldn't have cut the bumper in hindsight

We took 1501 to its first DSM/EVO Shootout. The 19th annual

img.php

Next came our first round of trying to cure the DSM herpes that it came with.
-Cleaned the engine bay
-replaced cracked 1g exhaust manifold with a ported, sand blasted 2g mani
-shaved and painted the valve cover
-installed EVOIII 16G turbo and tubular O2 housing
-deleted balance shafts
-installed SPEC clutch kit
-AN return line
-lightweight crank pulley
-tried fixing several leaks (failed)

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

So after the oil pan leaked onto the clutch and ruined the new Spec clutch, I decided it was time to make my move. I got my brother to trade Mark his Miata plus some cash for 1501. My brother owning the car was one step closer to it being mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Here is a shot of the Miata we traded my friend for it.

My brother's ownership was very short lived. One of the ebrake cables snapped, driveshaft bushings needed replaced, and the water pump belt pulley came off shearing a bolt. That was all he could handle. He sold the VR4 to me, and talked my dad into loaning him the difference to buy another WRX. My brother is, and always will be a Subaru guy. I own an STI, so I can't blame him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The car was basically JSB status when I got it. The pulley needed fixed, the clutch was slipping, still had the bad wheel bearing, and a f*** ton of leaks. I let it sit as I slowly accumulated parts, until it came time that I had to make a decision. I thought I broke the input shaft on my STI, and I had to decide which car got my limited funds. So I foolishly decided to let my Subaru sit, so I could get 1501 ready for the 20th annual DSM Shootout. This was our second round of removing DSM herpes.

-Cometic gasket kit
-Fluidampr pulley to replace the cheap aluminum one (APR hardware as well)
-New SPEC disc since the old one was soaked in oil
-Resurfaced a used ACT lightweight flywheel (ARP hardware)
-New 2G clutch fork and OEM pivot ball
-5 lug swap and 4 bolt rear end from a parts car
-New rims for the 5 lug swap from an FD I had parted out
-Avid mounts since the stock ones were done for
-JNZ clutch line
-ABS delete
-Symborski shift kit with all OEM shifter assembly bushings from JNZ
-OEM rear main seal kit
-Energy Suspension master bushing kit
-New manual steering rack with new OEM bushings from JNZ
-ordered vanity plates since I'm cool like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

We barely got the car together in time for the 20th DSM Shootout. We got the car back together the night before. I ended up using a spare 4 bolt DSM subframe, as we didn't get mine finished with all the spare goodies I bought. The front sway bar wasn't installed. The car had no alignment and a crooked steering wheel. And to top it off, the battery turned into junk while sitting, so we had to take a jump box. I also sliced a tendon in my finger when removing the valve stems because I was rushing. No worries though, it was all worth it.

img.php

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I started a full build/restoration of my rear subframe and suspension last summer. Everything will be painted with POR, new wheel bearings, endlinks, ball joints etc as well.

The new subframe from a 93 AWD DSM, arriving at my friends shop

All disassembled after some fun with the torches

The old bushings removed and holes cleaned up for..

The new BoostX bushings

New camber arms

The rusty 4 bolt diff before I started cleaning it up

Jay Racing Toe eliminator kit

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks nice, what size are those sentra wheels?

LIV4PSI

Lots more to come by the end of the day. Those pics are still from a year and a half ago, and before I even owned it.

The Sentra rims are 16x6

G

Staff member
Nice, were they hub centric?

LIV4PSI

Yes. If I remember right, there is a 1mm or so difference from the stock GVR4 wheels. So we did have to machine them ever so slightly.

GSX_TC

Haha I see myself in your 2011 shootout pic =)

LIV4PSI

Hopefully we will have some more of our cars together in the 2013 Shootout pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSX_TC

Hell yeah, For sure. I can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LIV4PSI

So 1501 has sadly been sitting since January due to a broken rear brake line. I was forced to switch focuses to my 04 STI, as it is a much better daily driver. I have been accumulating parts for the last few months, hoping to bring a decent car to the Shootout. I decided to not rush it back together like I had to last year, so I am going to hold off on installing alot of my new goodies.

In the next few weeks I will be finishing up my rear end rebuild, rebuilding the driveshaft, and replacing both rear brake lines from the prop valve to the calipers. I already picked up some techna fit SS lines from Bob Dole and installed them. I headed out to the garage now, I will post some updated pics when I come back inside.

LIV4PSI

So I haven't gotten nearly as much done before the Shootout as I had hoped. I did get my driveshaft finished up though. The carrier bearings were causing it to thump pretty bad, especially under deceleration

Here's the DSS aluminum drive shaft beside my stock one

I sanded blasted the rear section and coated it with POR15. I also replaced the carrier bearing, u-joint, and bushings

GSX_TC

Can't wait to get mine.

LIV4PSI

In retrospect, I have a hard justifying the DSS driveshaft. I am all about efficient HP gains, but I have more money in that driveshaft than I do in my truck I use to tow the VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyways, I got the driveshaft installed. I also replaced to drive side hard brake line from he prop valve back. Installed some SS brake lines on all four corners while I was at it

LIV4PSI

1501 made it to its 3rd in a row Shootout this year. and it made the trip with minimal issues. I got to drive it to work for the first time today since January, and when I came home my girlfriend was wearing this. Life is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only downside is that the Shootout gives me dumb ideas. I keeping thinking I should part out my STi, and spend some real money on my VR4.

Olson

You have boobs? thats kinda weird for a dude....

LIV4PSI

Quoting LIV4PSI:
my girlfriend was wearing this

I've always suspected that people don't actually read build threads, they just look at pics. Wel I guess this is proof. At least the first reponse wasn't asking me to post noodz

Olson

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif had to dude.

GSX_TC

Quoting LIV4PSI:

Only downside is that the Shootout gives me dumb ideas. I keeping thinking I should part out my STi, and spend some real money on my VR4.

Now your thinking right! That's what I would do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts