The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

a little blue smoke

971of1000

i am having an issue with some blue smoke at startup and as soon as i start off at a stoplight. recently rebuilt the turbo. motor showed 140psi compression last time i tested it. any thoughts?

Blue smoke is gernally from burnt oil i belive. How long has it been happening? Possibly oil in the DP from the old turbo? Valve guide seals? Has the head been worked on lately? How many miles?

464/2K

comp. is good if its a 140. time for valve stem seals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

971of1000

probably ought to save my bucks and get some valve springs and head studs and head gasket at least while im at it.

Valve seals rarely go unless valve guides are bad. Valve guides usually cost (much) less than seals.
I don't know about the 4g63, but on crappy Honda 1.5's they cost $1.00. Press them out, press them in, or have a machine shop do it. Should not be expensive. Or DIY for the win!

If your guides are bad and you do all that other work, those brand new seals will be hogged out within 5000 miles and you will have smoke again......

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Quoting 687OF2000:
Valve seals rarely go unless valve guides are bad. Valve guides usually cost (much) less than seals.
I don't know about the 4g63, but on crappy Honda 1.5's they cost $1.00. Press them out, press them in, or have a machine shop do it. Should not be expensive. Or DIY for the win!

If your guides are bad and you do all that other work, those brand new seals will be hogged out within 5000 miles and you will have smoke again......

This isn't necessarily true on the 4g63. And putting guides in ain't gonna happen with the head on the car like you can do with just a stem seal installation. I put seals only in 1051 about a decade ago and they held up for well over 5k miles afterwards. I would try seals first, then if it smokes later on due to guides, pull the head and have it rebuilt with new guides/seals/valves/etc.

Well, he was already talking about a headgasket.... Good to know that isn't necessarily true, that's just what my 32k tech school taught me.....Of course they contradict themselves all the f**king time, so not surprising.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned