The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C

Brunoboy

Has anyone taken out there A/c Completely? Was it worth it? well mine doesnt work, so I have the motor out and tranny out right now on 352/1000 and Im thinking just take the whole a/c system out with the lines and condensor and all. anyone done it? j/w,
-Shane

prove_it

Are you serious? it's been done over and over again.

1990ggsxnj

I would say that's all up to the person. Do you want it or want more engine bay space? Are you relocating the alternator in place of the a/c? We can't answer these questions for you, sorry.

Mine was gone when I got mine. Cleans things up and makes it easier to work on (which is all I do since it doesn't drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif). As long as you don't mind rollin' with the windows down, then there aren't really any losses.

Brunoboy

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
I would say that's all up to the person. Do you want it or want more engine bay space? Are you relocating the alternator in place of the a/c? We can't answer these questions for you, sorry.

I already took out the compressor and today to take out the condensor, I just didn't want to "destroy the car",, ya know , anyways did guys removethe lines as well or just left them there? And do you guys know how much it all weighs?
-Shane

Lonewolf64

I would never take a functioning A/C out of a car. It's nice to have. It sounds like you have already taken it out, so what's the question here?

Brunoboy

I haven't taken it out yet just took the compressor out , I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it weighs as q whole unit lines condensor and all

prove_it

Check the how-to section, there should be a write up on various weights of parts.

It doesn't work? Take it out.
Any weight off of a 3,500lb. car is an improvement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

ok cool, thanks guys, i know it was a stupid post that didnt make sense at the beginning, it was I just woke up, and sleep posting ahaha. does A/c removal do anything else besides weight? like better for the motor or anything?
-shane

Barnes

Might help engine cooling because you don't have a condenser in front of the radiator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

If your car is bone stock and you remove the A/C you won't notice much difference.

Brunoboy

Well the reason I'm probably going to take it out is because I just pulled my motor and putting another motor in, mods are mls headgasket dsm gt high flow exhaust manifold, big16g ,2g o2 housing, BSE, gates timing belt , crower springs and retainers, Evo 8 injectors and Evo 9 fuel pump, 2g intake pipe and 2g maf, jons fmic kit with Evo 8 intercooler. So does that make a difference???

Muskrat

Are you planning to DD the car? If yes, keep it in. It's nice to have, and you can't always have the windows open (hot rainy days, or really muggy days). You wont notice a huge improvement, if any.

The lines are easy to remove, the condenser is harder, because you need to pull the radiator and/or front bumper.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Yea I dd it, the motor and radiator are all out already, so there is no suffiecient power gain or anything of that sort???

Muskrat

Think about it. You're losing what, maybe 20 lbs when all is said and done? The power it consumed is negligible. With the compressor idling it requires almost nothing, and with it on it MIGHT use 2 or 3 HP.

The only gain you'll probably see is slightly lower temps due to increased airflow to the radiator.

Most people remove it because:
1) The system is already broken/on it's way out, and they don't really use it anyway.
2) They use a different style radiator that they locate where the condenser used to be, freeing up space in the engine bay for working/larger turbo.
3) They're not DDing the car but using it as a race car, and every lb matters.

Or a combination of those three.

You can remove it if you want, and 9 time out of 10 you'll probably be ok without it. Just think of that one hot day, where you're driving a long way and then it starts to pour. Now you have to roll your windows up, but because it's pouring it's now really muggy in the car. Wouldn't A/C be great right now? (This has happened to me. Fortunately I no longer DD the vehicle.)

Last edited:

Brunoboy

very good point, thanks
-shane

turbowop

Long trips on hot days at 75mph with the windows down gets really old. I use AC in both my cars quite a bit.

What's the reason it wasn't working? Just needs a charge? I say leave it in and fix it. Unless you're building an all out race car, it's a pretty sweet accessory.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts