The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C on higher hp GVR4's

G0TB00ST

Who here has a higher hp (450whp+) vr4 with functional air conditioning? I honestly have not attempted to get my a/c working... but it is something I would like to get working and actually keep. So if this has been covered... FORGIVE ME. I just would like 1 of my 3 cars to have a/c.

EMX5636

508whp for over 3-4 years Daily driven with A/C. DSMLink (and stock ECU, but Link is adjustable) disengages the compressor clutch above certain throttle positions and RPM. That way you can't overspin and kill the compressor. If that's what you're worried about.

You will need to run good quality fans (or stockers) if it gets really hot around you.

EMX5636

Nope, mine is all white. Was wingless for a little while, now back on the stock VR4 spoiler. Turbo is a Precision 5857 BB Billet mounted on a JMF T3 Topmount manifold.

G

Staff member
How about making the 450hp first before worrying about ac?

EMX5636

True G. But if it's something you know you want to keep while doing the build like I did, you might need to change/design some things to allow everything to fit.

alansupra94

Quoting EMX5636:
508whp for over 3-4 years Daily driven with A/C. DSMLink (and stock ECU, but Link is adjustable) disengages the compressor clutch above certain throttle positions and RPM. That way you can't overspin and kill the compressor. If that's what you're worried about.

You will need to run good quality fans (or stockers) if it gets really hot around you.

I was going to do that until I found out that my Bushur Racing Pulley (Fisher SFI Crank Pulley) actually is larger so remove over spinning.

tsitalon1

Quoting EMX5636:
DSMLink (and stock ECU, but Link is adjustable) disengages the compressor clutch above certain throttle positions and RPM. That way you can't overspin and kill the compressor. If that's what you're worried about.

I remember this setting, but on the most current version of DSMLink I cannot, for the life of me, find that setting - What section is that under again?

cheekychimp

OP, what are you actually concerned about with horsepower? You can still kill a compressor with a stock powered car fairly easily. I've done it. In that respect I think how you drive the car and remembering to either manually switch off the A/C (or use something like DSMLink/ECMLink etc to disengage it at certain rpms as mentioned) has far more to do with compressor life than horsepower. In fact I would have thought a stroker motor that makes more power at lower rpms would be easier on the compressor.

Are you concerned about heat or fitment of the A/C condenser up front with a bigger turbo? If so that's manageable. Speak to Mark (turbowop) above. I'm not sure what power he is making but it's around the amount you stated and he has all the stock A/C in place.

Last edited:

turbowop

My car dyno'd 425whp and I tweaked it after that to make more. It's probably close to 450. I just drove 2hrs on the freeway and then some stop/go traffic here in Issaquah. AC running full blast the entire trip with windows up. It's in the 80's today. Blows cold, zero issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Supposed to be 113F in Yakima on Tuesday... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

I would say stay with stock flywheel if you wanna DD it when I had my SER it had one of those light aluminum flywheels and when I had the A/C on the rpms would drop really fast and sometimes stall out the car in stop in go traffic kind of annoying at times.

turbowop

I have an ACT cromo flywheel and have no issues with stalling. I did when I had the twin disk though. Not enough inertia.

I just got home from that trip I took to Issaquah today. I hit some horrible stop/go traffic going over the mountain pass due to construction and rock blasting. My GM IAT sensor was showing temps in the 120F range while stopped on the freeway with cars, trucks, and semis all around me. I started seeing my coolant temps climb up to 213. I shut off the AC while stopped in the worst of it and temps dropped back down to 203. Once moving again I turned the AC back on and coolant temps stayed around 194 with the IAT sensor showing 98-99.

I use a 180F thermostat, and have a FAL puller fan wired up to ECMlink to turn on when coolant temps reach 196F. I think that fan met it's limits today, as ambient temps while stopped on the freeway were pretty damn high. Other than that, AC worked fine. I really only had to turn it off during the time I was stopped for like 20mins. I could probably have left it on to see how hot the coolant got. I just don't feel comfortable seeing it go higher than 216. It never went over 213 today.

EMX5636

Another cool option with DSMLink is you can adjust the idle with A/C on. I'm on aluminum rods and Exedy Twin so the rotating assembly is pretty light. I think I have the idle increase by 1-200 RPM when the A/C is on. It works very well. I might get a brief (1-2 seconds) of high idle (1300-1400rpm when I turn it off. Doesn't drop really at all when turning it on, at least no worse than turning on the headlights.

It was 94* the other day with probably 80-90% humidity. 1 12" and 1 11" Spal pusher fans, and a 180* stat keeps the temps under 210 with the A/C on in mild traffic. Mark is probably has about the same cooling setup as I have.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts