The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C line - exchange with Dsm?

tsitalon1

Hey guys, I've somehow managed to bugger up my high side ac connection and will require a new high side line.

Can I grab one from any 1g dsm or are these specific to the gvr4 (length)?

prove_it

More than likely you"ll need a GVR$ one. Pending on how bad you need it and how soon, I'll be stripping my functional AC system off the car in the near future.

I believe it may also be interchangeable with dohc gs, gsr and gsx Galants 1988-1992. Also possibly sohc models but less sure about that.

tsitalon1

Thanks guys!

Believe it or not, I got the AC working with a broken schrader valve in the High-side port.

While I couldn't measure the HS pressure, I was able to vacuum and fill low side till the LS gauge read 30-35, 2 cans.

I will look for a new HS line as soon as time permits.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Schrader valves are removable and replaceable if just the valve screw-in insert is damaged.

tsitalon1

Upper part of valve broke off while trying to remove it...lower portion is still in and sealing....apparently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not sure how to get it out once the upper portion (the part the tool grabs) breaks off.

prove_it

You can try to put a small hole it and use an extractor, however chances are that since the head broke off then the threads are corroded and might not budge. If you have an extractor set, go for it. Your looking to replace the line anyway, so you got nothing to lose. I'd spray some penetrating lube in the body and cover it. That might help break it up.

dsmless

Any 1989-1993 galant ac lines will work. All the same

Cosmetic parts and interior parts are very interchangeable 89-93 but style may be different so there is a lot of potential for customizing to your own taste. There are basics such as the front bumper. The ones with a larger front inlet are GVR4, 93 LS bumper which deletes fog lights or JDM (possibly Galant GSX don't know). DOHC cars are most compatible in engine bay but the engine has several differences CR, cams, piston skirt oil squirters, injectors, throttle body, power steering pump which many think is an upgrade, and more. Honestly, a great many items are compatible but have subtle issues. If you see something you like on a different year/model but are not sure will fit, ask the board, probably someone will get back to you quickly.

Last edited:

galant0933

That's good to know. Vi meant AC parts though. Are the lines, brackets, compressor, and condenser all the sane with the 2.0's abd 1.8s?

I'm going to the yard Wednesday, and am positive they have a complete 91.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Different engine, so suspect the possibility the compressor mount bracket and compressor are possibly different. Don't know for sure though.

Go here click to find part number of component you need.

Go here click to enter part number and see what other Mitsubishi vehicles use that part (scroll down).

Many sites like this now, use the one you are comfortable with

mitsuturbo

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that the SOHC and DOHC in NA form have the exact same block. I'm sure the compressor would have the same mounting bracket. Thus, it is likely they would run the same compressor. Therefore all the lines would likely be the same across all 89-93 Galants, be they VR4, GSX, GS-R, GS, LS or base.

curtis

Dsm's have different compressors. The dsm ones are smaller and doesn't have a pressure switch hole like a vr4. I know because I made one work on mine but required having hybrid lines made and swegged together.

boostme

Does any one if a/c lines are different?

I know compressor and bracket are diff.. Hard to find this stuff that isn't priced like gold

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Given the shape of the car and the need for the lines to follow body lines, I don't think the main hard lines are the same. Now, if the length is sufficient, they may be able to be bent to fit, probably poorly. they are fairly flexible, but you don't want to kink of fatigue them as the aluminum can crack or split easily.

I may still have a compressor bracket around if you need one. I know I sold one a few years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts