The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#996/1000

CutlassJim

If this is the Beau I'm thinking of he has an amazing 2G as well. I can't wait for you to get rid of those mudflaps. I could use them right now in this 24" of snow.

unistylef

CutlassJim: Sorry brah, the snow doesnt look so good from here. I am not even bringing the flaps to use on this dry road. Im still teetering on the consideration of the rallyarmor... I was just afraid of taking away from the overall OEM look. Oh yea, my buddy got a decal machine. I already made a kappa sticker for the rear quarter panel. Next visit, I am doing the signatures, it's gonna be sweet. I still want the sway bar, but money is tough right now for upgrades. I need to spend money to get a new radiator, I feel that it's time to have such an item replaced if I want that kind of demand on my car. I also still need to find this mysterious oil problem again. The spark area was resolved, but I have been running low on oil really easy. I am not sure if theres a leak, or if I am really burning oil that fast. (Oil may go from 3/4 to 1/4 on dipstick after 3hrs of driving on ocassion).

James Foster: As for the Beau guy, this seems like a good opportunity... its 3hrs away, but seems worth it. You mentioned he works for AEM... I dont have a wideband installed yet. Do you recommend I buy an AEM wb? I have ECMLinkv3, perhaps since he should be the tuning expert, maybe this is the way to go.

Also, I have great desire to see your car, its on my list of dream GVR4s.

Idreamidrive: I will PM you.

unistylef

New Decal Sticker

GSTwithPSI

If you are using ECMlink, do not get an AEM wideband. They have been known to be problematic when used with ECMlink. Go with a Innovate wideband, which is what the guys from ECMlink recommend works best with their software. The brand of the WB doesn't matter so much as getting an accurate reading of your car's A/F ratio does. If the tuner comes highly recommended, a 3 hour drive is a small price to pay for a good tune.

Last edited:

unistylef

I am considering either the Innovate or the Zeitronix (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/LCD/LCD.shtml) for the WB. Anyone have good experiences with Zietronix? I really want to put the Zeit in place of the dash clock, but in a clean manner (too look factory).

Also, I was thinking of putting carbon fiber vinyl on my checklist. I was considering the hood and window pillars. Good idea?

GSTwithPSI

If you want to put your A/F readout in the dash clock, then you should definitely go with Innovate. You'll also get the added benefit of an auto timer with the Innovate kit. Not to mention, the guaranteed compatibility with ECMlink.

First, buy this: Innovate Auto TURBO Timer + LC-1 Cable + O2 Sensor KIT

Then, put it here: Wideband O2 in place of GVR4 dash clock

The 4.7" X 2" Zeitronix LCD Display would be to large to fit in the clock area anyways. I barely got the Innovate display to show clearly, and its display is under half the size of the Zeitronix. You might get the Zeitronix to fit, but it would probably look like sh*t. And, even if it did look decent, it definitely wouldn't look "factory". Also, The Zt-2 Wideband System is more expensive, and the added inputs would be a waste, because you will have ECMlink for all that. Can't see a single reason to go with Zeitronix to be honest...

And as far as the CF vinyl goes, are you asking if it will work, or for opinions on aesthetics?

Last edited:

unistylef

Thanks GST! I trust your advice. As for the vinyl, I was just doing it for looks, I know it will work. I just havent seen it on the forums yet.

CutlassJim

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
If you want to put your A/F readout in the dash clock, then you should definitely go with Innovate. You'll also get the added benefit of an auto timer with the Innovate kit. Not to mention, the guaranteed compatibility with ECMlink.

And as far as the CF vinyl goes, are you asking if it will work, or for opinions on aesthetics?

Your car is so clean I almost don't trust it. If that makes any sense. Which I know it doesn't.

unistylef

Quoting cutlassjim:
Your car is so clean I almost don't trust it. If that makes any sense. Which I know it doesn't.

I kinda get where you are going with this, but where would you put this WB? Placement for everything is a big deal. I figured putting it in place of the clock would retain the factory look. Are you referring to cutting? I will be avoiding cutting. BTW, I plan on purchasing the WB with income taxes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plan on seeing paint on this thing this year too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif british racing green, shaving off the fuel and trunk locks, tinting, install the hid yellow fogs, .... (my aesthetics column is filling up again, haha)

GSTwithPSI

FWIW, I modified the clock trim (cut) a little more than I needed to. If I did it again, it could be done even cleaner with less cutting. Basically, you just need to cut enough of the trim away to manipulate the little silver knob on the display.

As far as looks go, I personally wouldn't go with CF vinyl. If I had to use vinyl, I'd maybe go with matte black or something. I agree with cutlassjim though, the car looks good as is.

unistylef

More good advice, thanks GST. The vinyl would also just be there to hold off my OCD. All the oxidiation and peeling bugs me. But perhaps I might just set it aside and continue to make the car run better before I try to check off all the aesthetics stuff.

GSTwithPSI

Well, IDK if you have priced out good vinyl wrap (3M 1080, not Ebay junk), but it's not cheap. If you are that worried about it, there are other temp solutions that are much cheaper. Since you are going to paint anyways, you could plastidip, or even paint the hood black yourself. Duplicolor makes a ready to spray paint that looks and works decent. click . It is usually on the shelf at most parts stores, and is like $20 bucks for a quart. Just some other options for you to consider on a budget. You can get the car running better, and take care of the aesthetic issues too if you are willing to make a few compromises.

I wanted a quick cheap solution to do something with the hood on 1813 before I sold it. It looked like sh*t. I considered vinyl wrap as well, but decided against it due to cost. I ended up painting the hood with the Duplicolor Paint Shop ready to spray black. I didn't clear coat it in order to give it a matte-like finish. It turned out good for the time and money I had invested. Almost no prep other than a quick scuff and degrease. I'm using this to illustrate the point that some cheap temp fixes can make a night and day difference in a car's appearance. Of course, they don't substitute for good body work and a real paint job, but afterwards I felt much better about how the car looked overall.

Here's how it turned out:

Before:
WP_000942.jpg

After:
CIMG0199.JPG

CIMG0203.JPG

CIMG0198.JPG

unistylef

On Saturday, January 25th 2014, #996 has suffered from Crankwalk.

A new block is in search at the moment. If you would like to visit the GVR4 memorial, the car is located at Tony's Lube n Tune (San Diego).

-- "I thought it was just a small clutch slippage at first. Before I knew it, it wasn't engaging from a stop. I thought it was the end of the world." --

[unistylef has placed a Buschur Racing Stage 3 Shortblock into his wishlist] click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned