The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'91-'93 3KGT VR4 4 pot Calipers Installed!

Update:

The FNOR-1C didn't clear the calipers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. It came down to spoke design. The spokes has approx a 1/2" lip that didn't clear the calipers. Any 17x8.5+30mm offset wheel designed for the evo 8 will work on the galant as well.

The hunt for aftermarket wheels is still on. If I go 5 lug, then the oem evo 8 wheels will clear without any problems. At this point, this is the most affordable option. I'm slowly gathering what I need to do this. If anyone has the 5 lug spindles w/abs that there willing to part with at an affordable price, please hit me up.

Quote:
Quote:
update?

Brakes holding up very well. I definately recommend getting the correct wheels to go with these calipers before you attempt this. Smallest wheel you can use is 17".

Actually I have seen this setup on a 1g with some 16x8 SSRs that DID clear the caliper. The mitsubishi was shaved off the caliper and there was no spacer being run IIRC.

Yes, 16's will work with the right offset. OEM non-turbo 3000GT 16's clear the TT calipers (even if you have the lettering). The shaved lettering could have just been a dodge stealth caliper since they don't say anything.

They probably used the bracket from vfaq or dsmtalk (I don't recall) which is different from the one I used. The bracket I used was designed to work with the '94-'99 3kgt vr4 rotors which are about 1/2" wider in diameter/surface area than the '91-'93 3kgt vr4 rotors.

belize1334

I just wanted to add a little info...

Stealth 316 lists the 3kgt pistons as 40.4/42.8mm for ALL YEARS of 3kgt. Rock-auto on the other hand says that this is true for 2G but lists something like 2.1" for the 1G. A member here on the boards (vapid) confirmed for me that the 1G are in fact ~1.5" confirming that the info on stealth 316 is correct and rockauto is WRONG. This allows for an estimate of the brake-bias that can be expected using 3kgt rotors.

Stock GVR4 brakes...

Front piston: 41.3mm x 2
Front rotor: 276mm
Rear piston: 34.9mm x 1
Rear rotor: 265mm

So, just looking for the clamping force ratio front/back we get (2*(41.3^2))/(34.9^2)=2.8. That is, in stock form the front brakes clamp down on the disks with 2.8 times the total force. Then, to get the torque split, we multiply again by the ratio of rotor diameters. First note that the front pad is about 3.8cm wide and the rear is about 3.2cm wide so the front and rear EFFECTIVE rotor diameters become 276-(38/2)=257mm and 265-(32/3)=249mm. Then the braking torque ratio becomes 2.8*(257/249)=2.9. So, in stock form, the front brake apply 2.9 times the TORQUE to the wheels and since the wheels are the same diameter front/back we get 2.9 times the stopping force on the front as on the back.

Now, we can repeat with 3kgt front brakes on a 12" rotor (typical). The same calculation becomes (40.4^2+42.8^2)/(34.9^2)=2.84. That is, switching to 3kgt brakes has almost NO effect on the clamping force. This is good because it means we shouldn't have to worry about the master cylinder being able to keep up. But, if the rotor is also increased in size we get the torque ratio as 2.84*(285/249)=3.25. Here I have assumed similar pad size to get the effective rotor diameter as 304mm (12") - 38mm/2 = 285mm. So, the take home is that while OEM gvr4 have a 2.9:1 front/back braking ratio, a 3kgt front brake setup will increase this to about 3.25 (rotor size depending) which is roughly a 12% increase in forward bias. Unfortunately, while this means that the front brakes will handle track duty more effectively (better heat dissipation) it also means that you're more likely to lock up the rears, especially as you stiffen the suspension and decrease forward weight transfer.

belize1334

^^ Quick correction / addendum. Above I said that the rears would be more likely to lock up. This is obviously wrong... the fronts become more likely to lock up as the forward bias is increased. But, I also did a quick internet search for typical bias values in track cars. It seems that for tarmac alot of people like ~70/30 where for gravel people go more toward ~80/20 to avoid spin-outs on loose surfaces. The decimal values that I gave are equivalent to about 74/26 (GVR4) and 76.5/23.5 (3kgt front). So, while being potentially a little front heavy there's no reason to conclude unilaterally that this mod is TOO front heavy. We'll have to ask the One-Lap team for their opinion on that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned