The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 trans in a gvr4 also 90 ecu?

thedsmguy

Just got a great shifting 90 transmission in a parts car. Any issues other then shifter cable swap? Also has a 90 ecu that was keydiver chipped for 550cc and 2g mas and 2 step etc. Should I just swap the wires or can I simply swap that chip into my eprom from my gvr4?

belize1334

^^ Not sure about that one. Seems to me that we have '91+ style ignition coils so we probably have the same era tachometer which is incompatible with the '90 ECU.

The transmission is easy cheesy if you have a 22-spline t-case. You just have to swap the cable bracket and the left-right selector arm.

TRBODSM

I put my buddy's DSM link from his 90 talon into my 91 GVR4 and had no problems with it. I am sure a chip would be the same way but keydiver would be the one to ask on that.

belize1334

Oh, my bad. I thought he was wanting to swap the ECU in. The chip itself will swap no problem so long as your ECU is socketed. The ECU itself is different though so it doesn't swap directly without some work.

stevep

Quoting belize1334:
^^ Not sure about that one. Seems to me that we have '91+ style ignition coils so we probably have the same era tachometer which is incompatible with the '90 ECU.

Sorry you have it backward. The later cars don't have any major issues with a 90 ECU other than swapping the pins.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned