The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 laser half shaft help?

The driver side half shaft poped out and now it will not go back on. When I look at the tranny shaft splines they are crooked and do no line up how is this possible ? And why is there a notch inside the half shaft? Any help would be gtreat

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

Looks like the lat IoM it was apart,it was not seated fully and it was drove on. The only part of the splines that were driving the wheel was the part before the clip.

Time for a new half shaft. No fixing that.

so is it a new tranny shaft or the halfshaft or both? I have been working at this for hours the two bolts that hold the tranny shaft bracket/bearing to the back of the block are hard to take out no room for a ratchet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

The male spline part is toast. If the female socket or clean, it should be just fine to reused.

Look carefully at the spline high and lows and make sure there is no wearing. They should be straight and have defined grooves that are not worn to sharp points.

is the tranny shaft the same on a awd car and a fwd car if so then i can get one at a local recycle yard if not then I asume its a dealer only item ?

One last thing are there any online guids that show how to remove the tranny shaft . do i have to replace the 2 seals/bearings for the tranny and the support bracket seen just behind the tranny shaft in my pics thanks again

mitsuturbo

Quoting Drdamm21:
is the tranny shaft the same on a awd car and a fwd car if so then i can get one at a local recycle yard if not then I asume its a dealer only item ?

Not even close to the same. AWD has equal length CV shafts, and the first thing you posted pic of is basically an equalizer. FWD vehicles do not have this, unless someone upgraded it to equal length halfshafts to help alleviate torque steer. So, the likelihood you'd find this on a FWD in a junkyard is pretty much zero.

Check the partout threads, and check with Nate for spares. He might have something lying around from a partout he can ship/sell you. I could be wrong, but it LOOKS like you should just be able to put that back together and run it, so long as the circlip will still hold the halfshaft properly. Maybe you can clean it up and stick it back together.

EDIT: nevermind, i just saw the last pic and enlarged it. You need a new inner halfshaft. (the equalizer part)

Last edited:

what is the actual name of this shaft im having trouble with so I can ask some of my local junk yards and dsm clubs here in az ?

Wizardawd

Its the jackshaft/intermediate shaft/half shaft from any AWD 1g DSM/GVR4.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned