The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 gsx 1g motor in vr4. what do i need for the swap?

codeofdastreets

Hey what's up guys. This week I be buying a clean 91 galant vr4 shell. It comes wit engine mounts, harness and ecu..I have motor, tanny and transfercase from a 1g 90 gsx. What will I need to do or change to do this swap without running into problem? Do any senser, wires, or clips need to be changed?? Which rad nd Thermest housing do I use? Can I use a 90 tranny nd transfer case on the 91 galant? these are think I will need to know. Thankss again

codeofdastreets

I didn't know when you were at the age of 19 you knew everything bout galant vr4"s.. Sorry not everyone is as smart as you..

Fever

Well I don't see any problems, why this shouldn't work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif 6bolt engine in 6G vr4 shell, just like in factories japanese people did those days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

codeofdastreets

O I was just making sure because some things are diffrent from 90 to 91 on the dsm. Like the cam angle sensor, splines on the transmissions are diffrent.. A 90 ecu does not fit on a 91 dsm that's y I was wondering if there's a diffrence on the galant vr4 6 bolt motors.But thanks again

Muskrat

This probably should have been in the newbie section, FYI.

US VR4's (I'm assuming that's what you have) are the same drivetrain wise as a 91+ 1G DSM. Normal differences between 90 and 91+ apply.

raptorWagon

^Except the Driveshaft, our middle section of the driveshaft is longer than a dsm. GVR4s were hit or miss with 22 or 23 splined transmissions, but if you are using a 90' dsm trans it will be fine if you have the matching transfer case. Agreed the differences between the 90 and 91+ year dsms will apply otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

As said, if you have the drive-shaft for the GVR4 then it's just like putting a '90 motor in a '91+. The long-block will drop right in as long as you have the right front motor-mount piece (where it bolts to the x-member). You'll need to mount the '90 oil cooler somehow since the gvr4 expects the sandwich style oil cooler so there won't be a bracket for the heat exchanger. You'll need the ignition coil and transistor pack for a '91+ as well as the '91+ throttle body and CamAngleSensor. You may also need to get a '91+ fuel rail as the '90 is slightly different to accommodate the different throttle body.

You'll also need to either swap the shifter assembly and cables or else change the shift lever on the transmission. The second option is preferred since it is easier, requires less parts, and allows you to switch to a '91+ transmission at a later point if you want.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts