The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'90 GGSX / '92 VR4 Compatability Questions

donkeylips

Hey everybody my brother owns 924/1000 and its a little rusty so we're picking up a clean '90 ggx and swapping everything over that we need from his vr4. Then I will take the parts from the ggsx(and spare dsm parts) and put them on the gvr4 to make the ultimate year round bastard galant. Both cars will have either a 14b or 16g.

GGSX: ----> no problem
-Engine w/turbo, '92 wiring harness, non-eprom dsm ecu taken from gvr4
-1g dsm trans, t-case, 4-bolt rear, 5-lug swap

GVR4 -----> this is where I have the questions
-Engine w/turbo, turbo dsm ecu, modified '90 ggsx wiring harness??
-1g dsm trans, t-case, stock gvr4 rear end

I know which components to use such as clutches/flywheels/injectors/fuel pump/etc. If this were a '91-94 NT dsm I would have no problem making the necessary modifications to go turbo, but here's what I'm looking for.

I tried searching around and couldn't find out if the '90 ggsx has differences similar to a '90 dsm (I don't have the car yet, its in PA and I'm in Rochester, NY). Is the wiring harness similar to a '91-94 NT dsm or a '90 NT dsm? Are the CAS, fuel rail, etc like a '90 or '91-94 dsm? I don't really want to shell out the money for a gvr4 wiring harness, and I couldn't find what kind of modification is required to make a dsm wiring harness work in a Galant.

The 3 wiring harnesses I have available:
-'90 ggsx
-'90 turbo dsm
-'91 NT dsm

And I can use my '90 turbo dsm ecu or get a '91-94 turbo dsm ecu. What's my easiest combination here? Or should I just save up and get a vr4 wiring harness and use all '91-'94 components?

1990ggsxnj

I just started looking into the conversion for my GGSX as well and was wondering the same thing.

IncorpoRatedX

donkeylips

I did some CAPS research and while I never got around to comparing the parts from the '90 gsx to the '90 dsm, I compared the vr4 and gsx. Looks like the parts on the gsx are mostly the same as the '90 nonturbo dsm. Which is a bit of an oddball... its easiest to get '91-94 components and either a gvr4 wiring harness or a '91-'94 harness that you can modify to make work. Its basically the same, but the wire lengths are probably different , so maybe do a wire tuck while you're at it?
I recommend running a dsm drivetrain, but you'll need to swap the shifter and cables.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting Alpha Male:
click

? was more along the line of electrical additions. I know that everything on my TB looked exactly like a 91 which threw my "similar to 1990 dsm wiring" out of the door. I can't find my damn service manual for the routing/color coding/pinouts to do the conversion like I had on my 91 Eclipse GS and am unsure if any of the ECU pins need to be swapped.

Muskrat

That's prettyb easy to confirm. Just ohm out the wires and see what goes where. It's either right, or it isn't.

1990ggsxnj

Indeed, that's always a good fallback.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts