The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

9 Year Build Thread

JNR

Thanks for the link, apex...read thru that appendix for the most part and while some of it is good news, this fricken communist state lists all sorts of silly little things that I have which are technically not legal; such as AFPR, the piggyback A/F, the chip, the injectors, the larger turbo, the adj. cam gears, the cams and so on...what a joke. the good thing is I doubt the smog check place is going to know or really care about most of that (don't go to a chain)...the cat was replaced well before the date (plus OBDI) and this car is a federal car and that's the way things were before I bought it and brought it over here...I'm not going to worry about it, but damn have they really added a lot of things to the list (thanks ricers)...makes me want to get rid of this thing and just focus on my 'velle, which doesn't need a check (although you're supposed to have all smog stuff still, but nobody is going to hassle me on that sort of car).

AWDPower

On the battery, it's a replacement for the stock battery on a Miata, but with a bit better rating. It had no problem at all starting the car. I figured my low compression 2 liter would probably be easier to start then a high compression 1.8. The battery was just over $100. If anything goes wrong, it has a three year free replacement warranty, and it's in stock at Pep Boys.

My car has a 2.5 inch aftermarket cat on it, and it passed the test just fine. It only has about 15k miles on it.

Apex Hunter, can you send me the BAR link? A future project may be a V8 swap into my 95 Miata, and I need so research what it would take to keep it smog legal.

AWDPower

I went to the DMV and got my tags yesterday, so the car is officially back on the road.

The tags on the plate expired in '04, but I parked the car in the summer of '03. I drove the car to work today. I drive a lot for work, so I put about 200 miles on it on it's first day back in service. It drove like a champ, I'm very happy with the turbo set up. I'm still breaking in the clutch, so short shifting, no full throttle, and stock boost. Even so, the car has way more midrange punch then I expected. I cant wait to crank up the boost and open it up. As a bonus, I happened to go to a job site that was close to a wrecking yard. I picked up a 3G GTS (#482) MAS with the connector. As soon as the clutch is broken it, I'll install it and swap in my 750's. I only had one issue. After I got back to the office, the car wouldn't start when it was time to go home. I figured it was the crappy new parts store starter, which I had previously sworn that I would never buy again. Then I remembered that while I was driving back to the office, I though I felt something fall near the pedals. Sure enough, the old clutch switch stopper had cracked and fallen out. I unpugged the switch and the car started right up.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I did my front bumper cut like that too to maintain some strength.

Is there a non-op fee in California that you have to pay even when the car is not on the road? Did you have to pay that for all those years?

AWDPower

You pay a fee when you first put it in non-op, but if I recall it was less then $20. If you keep it non-op, you just don't do anything each time the renewal comes, and it stays non-op. To return it to service, you just pay your registration. The only draw back is you have to pay the full current year. For example, my registration was due April 26th. If I wanted to put it on the road on April 25th, I would have had to pay last years registration. To avoid that, I waited until the new registration year, after April 26th.

bobdole

Great looking car. Thanks for sharing your build.

Vr4junkie

9 years that's crazy I have about 6 months not driving mine and I'm Already going nuts just trying to get it running but anyways great build and atleast you got it running.

matt92vr4

Awesome build! I can appreciate how hard it is to find time with the kids. We have a 3 and 4 year old and it's impossible! I have just now started to have a little free time. Car looks great.

AWDPower

Thanks. My kids are also 3 and 4. They love to "help" work on the car. They call the Galant the "race car," I hope they don't repeat that if I ever get pulled over.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts