The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

89Mirageman Throttlebody Modification

pot

Staff member
This short post took some time to put together but I'd like to publicly thank Chris a la 89Mirageman for his professionalism, eye for detail, and for helping a fellow forum member out.

At the time and still to this day, I have yet to make the leap to Speed Density so all those pesky vacuum ports are still running rubber vacuum caps to include the three on my throttlebody. One day I had noticed a post Chris had made where he decided to modify his throttle body by removing his vacuum ports and sealing them off with set screws. It was such a clean and professional looking install I decided one day I'd follow suit. Chris being the gentleman that he is, was kind enough to explain the process via PM and on the horn. I didn't feel comfortable with performing this modification on my throttlebodys.com throttlebody so once again, I phoned up Chris and sure enough he offered to square me away.

In less than 3 days I received the following:

I was pretty pleased and couldn't have been happier with the outcome. Thank you Chris!

strokin4dr

Cool to see someone else doing this. I hate the rubber caps that end up dry rotted in no time.
Since I like to keep a functioning ISC, I've also been machining off the water lines to the FIAV and then capping the area off with a freeze plug. Cleans it up the tb nicely while keeping all the function I need.

Good job on looking out for out VR4 brothers, Chris!

-Ryan

89Mirageman

Thanks guys! I really wish I had the skills to do videos like TurboTom, Jafro ,Joe Wrenches & many others. Maybe one of these days I'll look into it a bit further. Got to start somewhere, you know.

As far as the coolant fittings, doesn't it take the car forever to idle down in the colder months with those bypassed? I do agree it looks a lot cleaner though.

strokin4dr

It only gets down to the mid 20s here typically on the coldest days so I'm not sure how it would work in consistently colder climates. The car never has a super high idle with the FIAV deleted. It settles down to where it's set within a minute or so. My stock VR4 takes longer for the idle to settle down on cold start.

89Mirageman

Can you give more detail on what you do to delete it? Blockoff plate or what? Or do you just machine it off and tap in a freeze plug? I agree, looks way cleaner. Weather is about the same here in NC so I wouldn't have any issues.

strokin4dr

It is internally blocked off. My other TB's were blocked off inside with JB Weld long before I started machining the lines off for simplicity and esthetics. Same thing as using one of the block off plates that allows you to retain the ISC.

4Grim

Oh wow...this is nice. I would like to do this to my Tbody. Is there a tutorial on doing this?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
On another note for people looking to keep functionality with respect to the use of the nipples (that wouldn't or don't want to use silicone caps on the nipples), one could solder the nipples shut and keep spares in case they wish to sell the throttle body as fully stock functional and not being reversible where the plugs get tapped into the base material. You can twist in new nipples or drill out the solder!

It looks really good and professional when it's done like Chris has shown us. Takes a steady hand a bit of nerve to want to do this mod, and not just once for his own stuff, but for others too.

89Mirageman

Quoting strokin4dr:
It is internally blocked off. My other TB's were blocked off inside with JB Weld long before I started machining the lines off for simplicity and esthetics. Same thing as using one of the block off plates that allows you to retain the ISC.

So I would still need to use the JB Weld or a block-off plate even if I remove the water line housing and tap in a freeze plug? The smaller holes that are still left open right beside the plug, do they actually go to anything or do they need to be blocked too? How did you go about removing that? Just cut it off and sanded it smooth?

strokin4dr

Yes, the passages still need to be internally blocked off or use a plate just like you would normally do to delete the FIAV. The machining of the lines is just cosmetic. No need to plug the holes where the water lines were, but you could thread them and add a couple set screws if you like. I may try that with my next one. We used a band saw to remove the main bulk and then used a mill to machine the rest flat. Freeze plug from the parts store to seal it up.

Leon_R

Can you just use a soda can to make a gasket that has opening for ISC, but blocks off the FIAV?

89Mirageman

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I've read where people blocked the extra holes when going DOHC on a 7 bolt the same way with no issues. Not sure I'd trust it for something like that but for the throttle body maybe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts