The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

849 rolling again!

PlatypusOfFury

Hey all,

Ever since the 90's I've wanted a VR4, in july I was able to get 849/1000. Picked her up for about $4k. Body is pretty damn clean for her age, but the engine and exhaust were pretty torn up. It's been a long road of patching this gal up, especially since I've never worked on a DSM before (thanks to all that helped and this site in general). Now 849 is back on the road!

lowdown of issues:
Cracked valve cover
Ghetto as hell exhaust system. AKA, downpipe to cat to some welded on pipe ending at the back seats.
Exhaust manifold was leaking badly from the head.
14b turbo was shot! leaked oil and coolant. had a stray bolt in the intake that destroyed the turbine.
Cracked headlights, cracked turnsignals, and a set of messed up foglights.
stripped oil feed line from the head to turbo.

Fixes:
replaced valve cover from a talon. Craigslisted that for like $10
New dual tip Turbo-back system from CM performance. $1000
FP exhaust manifold (pretty oxidized, but working great!) and new carbon gasket. craigslist again ($30)
Evo III 16G turbo. Craigslisted of some subaru kid who didn't do his research. $200
New headlights, and turners, from DDM's partout.
Changed out headlights and fogs to HID deep blues. Ebay for $40
Retapped the Oil Feed with 10x1.25 Helicoil. Amazon $20
1G short shift w/ leather boot swapped out. Junkyard for about $5
Autometer 60mm liquid filled boost guage. free from a Cyclone intake I'm building up
EGR and BCS deleted.
Apex turbo timer installed.

To Do's:
Swap stock intercooler with ETS kit recently purchased from Bassman1 (THANKS!)
Change downpipe to full 3 inch as I got 3in FP O2 housing.
Purchased a converted Evo8-to-1G suspension for dirt cheap on craigslist.
Have a little rust on trunk near passenger side spoiler. I work part time at a college, maybe their autobody program can clean for paint cost.
Swap to the Cyclone intake I'm building up (craigslisted for $20)

Here she is!

Big thanks to everyone who helped

Last edited:

PlatypusOfFury

few more

Leather seats all around are in awesome condition! I'm reworking the stereo and gauges right now. excuse that mess.

Little Rust on trunk, with luck my college's autobody program can fix that up.

Believe it or not, this is the only clearcoat peel on the entire car! again, autobody might be able to fix that.

the CM turboback, nice and shiney!

here's it on the car, there's a slight angle, awaiting a better mount to fix that up.

From the front

more later:)

bobdole

Nice looking car. Great looking exhaust. I have the same one.

PlatypusOfFury

thanks,

yeah, that exhaust was an adventure to put on by myself.
I kinda regret buying so fast. chose the downpipe that fits the stock O2 housing (2.5in i believe).
after ordering the exhaust, got a FP 3in O2 for next to nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

PlatypusOfFury

I do love it!

the cock-eyed angle is really bugging me. I have a few other items to patch up, then I'll work on that. maybe get a muffler shop to tighten the bolts up after 200mi of driving.

just got these in. evo8 suspension someone hacked up to fit 1g dsm.

Need to make some spacers for the front ears to get those on. (front ear donations accepted!)

right now, working on console area. Lights for Enviro don't work, installing stereo, and a hacking up a pocket spacer. going to make guage/pocket area near stereo. not going as planned, so may trash that idea.

PlatypusOfFury

few little things done.

took to muffler shop, got the CM catback section set right and welded up.
Made some brackets for Evo8 suspension. Pondering what to do on setting the ABS lines.
Fixed up the console area.
Added stereo, wires were a mess.... hacked up a space pocket to fit a no-name boost gauge. does the job for now.

Stereo antenna was all sorts of crap. found a fake ralliart snub on ebay for $5. added in.

PlatypusOfFury

Few more fixes:

Took to a Muffler shop for a welding to the catback. looks more leveled out now.
Stereo area rewired, also fixed up a spacer pocket to include a no-name boost gauge.
Antenna was crap. found a fake ralliart snub. looks nicer.
made some ear spacers for the evo8 suspension, looking into brake line hold downs. we'll see.

Pics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned