The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

832/2000 rebuild in progress.......

Since she's actually 'apart' now...figured I'd start a thread.

Traded a brand new XR70 for this; it ran but not well. Had to have her
towed to the house. Here she is the day after I got her.....

2q1t1j6.jpg

rumvj4.jpg

14w600l.jpg

Shoved in the garage........
f0vmyw.jpg

Tearing her apart.......
2ivic7c.jpg

2e17wgz.jpg

And then I was stuck; until Jamie and Kevin came over....
idzmfp.jpg

inevzq.jpg

9fmbg8.jpg

Still got a ways to go; and lots of parts to buy. Not looking for anything
disgusting speed wise; just a little faster than my Evo was. I think if I get
a straight 400 to the wheels I'll be happy..........

.....for a while at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Already ordered the Evo III 16G kit from Forced Performance.......great deal!

Jamie came over tonight and gave me a hand (I'm pretty good at most things when it comes to cars; but I've never torn down a head or block before).

1jx8yb.jpg

24mz404.jpg

According to Jamie; everything looked good except for rod and main bearings........got those and piston rings on order from Parts Dinosaur.
elboy1.jpg

I was told I'll be shown how to remove these.........;)
xeo803.jpg

Time to clean this up and paint it.......damn you Jamie.......lol
ve3muf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Soooo..........not thinking that Santa had remembered me as when I woke up I had no presents waiting; having my neighbor tell me this was delivered to them by mistake was pretty nice!!!!!

2n9fj1d.jpg

2cpzrqs.jpg

a0kor6.jpg

6px7jm.jpg

Oh ya......stickers are at LEAST 5hp per!!!!!!
vwvhgm.jpg

2hycwpj.jpg

2yv2mnr.jpg

Can't wait to get this build done!!!!!!
2imau75.jpg

alansupra94

Holy bread batman, you could make some extra cashing being santa!

Looking good so far! I would recommend some 2G pistons. I went from 1G compression to 2G compression and holy sh*t the difference is amazing.

citymunky

Nice built! I think the all the Hampton Roads area members should do a mini-meet sometime soon, I have a good camera to snap some pic's.

After actually sitting down and pricing everything; my initial thoughts of actually building the bottom end went out the window. After pulling it apart everything looked pretty damn good. Just replacing the normal wear and tear stuff and putting her back together.

With the 16G I won't be putting any outrageous numbers down, so I think she'll be just fine.

As per a Hampton Roads meet up........soon as it warms back up (and she's running), it will be time for Genro's again!

citymunky

Quoting sargeek1975:

As per a Hampton Roads meet up........soon as it warms back up (and she's running), it will be time for Genro's again!

Genro's is mostly a Muscle Car meet spot. My G35 don't even fit it there.

^ Go after 7 or 8 on Saturday night.......you've been missing out is seems......;)

citymunky

I guess. At 10 I usually show up at the back corner of the parking lot by Freedom Wash.

Finally got around to ordering some stuff; it's tough trying to find Link used for a decent price so I just dispensed with the bullshit and bought it new. Pulled out the ECU and it just needs to be socketed......

Also ordered a Fel Pro gasket set.

Soon as Mark gets that IC and exhaust off I should be in business..........also getting those Evo springs/retainers from Spooldu.

......still need a clutch/flywheel though.

talontyme

Quoting citymunky:
I guess. At 10 I usually show up at the back corner of the parking lot by Freedom Wash.

Freedom is where the ricers hang out you won't ever catch Rob,JB4,or myself there.Genro's starting at 4:30-5ish till sun down was there most weekends last year and there was plenty of imports and at least 7-8 dsms including my self.

So ya..........I haven't done a damn thing with it in months. Can't afford every part I need new; so I've been waiting til I find something. The last thing I need to get it on the road now is a clucth, as I found some injectors I'll be picking up later this week.

On to the pics.........

I picked up a '91 AWD Tsi a couple months back; but it's been down due to the return line. Ordered the kit from Extreme PSI and Jamie welded it on for me. Was gonna go back on the Talon; but I think I'm gonna ask Jamie to weld a stock return line on for the Talon and this will go on the Galant.
o5yxy8.jpg

25f0ftd.jpg

2r7ugap.jpg

Was originally gonna paint the block.....but since I'm not going through the hassle of painting the head I said screw it. At least I could clean it.....
2937rzm.jpg

Two bottles of Simple Green later:
6nv1p0.jpg

I've never built a block before.....so my 'mechanics' decided to show up and show me what's what......
33xcxft.jpg

Measuring each ring for each piston/cylinder wall......
2wqycyf.jpg

24v2ws7.jpg

2z5pxf5.jpg

And the bottom end is done......
rrv1xt.jpg

Couldn't build the head as we needed some sticky stuff that we didn't have (don't ask me what it's called; I have no idea)

After I get my tax return I'll be picking up a clutch; so she should be on the road within a month at the latest..........

Got around to working on it the last couple weekends............got the head together and on the block. For some reason I couldn't get the retainers to seat on the exhaust valves; but I did the intake ones just fine........

11s1cp3.jpg

9pqq2b.jpg

2me3686.jpg

Switching to non-abs lines........
15zqe0w.jpg

2yn2qmb.jpg

Figured I'd start and finish some stuff to the Talon today........I was very wrong.
I've already swapped out the seats and shift knob. Still needed to swap to a 2G mani, swap the front springs (which are Evo's) to stockers, replace the valve cover gasket and replace the oil pan with one that has a stock return line welded to it.
zn64vr.jpg

In the process of tearing it down I broke this (gonna get one off the Galant for now):
qrcgo1.jpg

Prolly found the reason why it's not boosting right, switching it to 2G (also found a vacuum line not connected to anything):
14vtp51.jpg

And can't get this damn wheel off til I find a size 12 allen wrench........
1htoj8.jpg

Ahhhhhhh....................DSM's. Ya gotta love 'em.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned