The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

802/1000 Diary

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Nice. Did it not come with FP's compressor cover? Is this their newer "HTZ" compressor wheel model (DSM 61-56)?

This is the previous model, the HTA model that is spec'd to 59 with Garrett's cover and not FP's antisurge cover.

KiNgMaRtY

Santa got me some HKS Cam gears for Christmas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HKS%20Cam%20Gears.jpg

I picked up some other little things to go with the install of the new turbo and support items. New Mitsu Exhaust Manifold gaskets, Fuel Filter to fuel rail feed SS line and a set of ARP L19 headstuds.

IMG_3989.jpg

Purchased a set of FIC 1450 Injectors from Nate and I installed new insulators and o-rings.
FIC%201450%20Injectors.jpg

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Did a little something that I had been meaning to do for sometime. When I installed the Koyo radiator, I never put in the bung for radiator temp sensor. Instead I just kept it wired to a switch. I took Mark's advice and wired the main fan to be controlled by the ECU. I am having the ECU turn on the fan using the Fuel Pressure Solenoid (FPS). It works like a charm! I also swapped out my Beck & Arnley 160 Thermostat for an OEM 180 and sure enough, side by side, the OEM does have a bigger opening.

I have not started installing the FP DSM76 as I am just really enjoying her and don't want to put her down. I have taken her the last two weekends for some fun mountains cruises with miles and miles of twisties at GMR. I go really early so I have the road to myself. I must admit that I am extremely happy as to how she performs on the mountain roads. The suspension setup feels great! I love the KW's! I really do not see any drawback with the 4ws. No complaints. The big bar in the rear combined with the stiffer springs in the rear really help turn her around. The Quaife I feel was also a great addition helping pull her out of the corners. The E3 16g really is a good sized turbo for these types of tight corners and I am almost concerned about how the bigger turbo may hinder the enjoyable experience in these types of road. I'm sure it won't be too bad, I hope. I will try to get some footage recorded next time I go.

Will post some pictures shortly.

GSTwithPSI

Martin, there are some nice shots there. Makes me miss SoCal!

I think you're going to see a drastic deference between the 16G and DSM76. I know you're expecting this to some degree, but from your comments, you may want to reconsider that turbo choice if your end goal is a fun street car that takes a good flogging on a back mountain road.

If you're planning to stick with a pump gas tune (not E85) I'd definitely reconsider the DSM76. Keep in mind also, you're going to be ~30 psi before that turbo is in its efficiency range. And, between 0 and 30 psi, you're gonna get a whole lot of lag on that 2.0L, especially in comparison to the insta-spool you're used to on your 16G.

I've seen multiple conversations on Tuners where people were considering this turbo for road racing, but decided against it in favor of the faster spooling FP3052 and even the FP3065. In short, just consider your end goals for the car, and make sure the DSM76 fits them. There are a lot of turbo options that would net you more airflow (than the 16g) without completely sacrificing low end response, all of which could be funded with the kind of change that DSM76 setup would fetch.

Great build overall, looking forward to more updates.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Thanks guys!

This is definitely the turbo I wanted next to the 3052. I believe the 3065 may spool slower than this turbo, so I believe the DSM76 may come in between the 3052 and the 3065 in terms of spool. The plan is to run both a 91 and a E-85 maps with switchable maps of course.

I'm in no hurry and I don't have much free time at the moment to swap in the new turbo so I will keep the E3 16g in a little longer than I initially anticipated. I will need to mod the connecting ETS turbo hot pipe to fit the DSM76 and I will need to mod my current DP to a vband along with installing the other goodies.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks nice man, love the rs bumper with the 92 grill. More room for emblemz & shiz. I wonder how that grill would look painted all black with red diamonds to match the black rs grill.

strokin4dr

^That's exactly how I did mine, G.

The contrast to break up all the white is nice.

KiNgMaRtY

I have removed the Evo 3 16g setup and I am in the process of gathering the plumbing for the DSM76. The plan is to have the turbo installed and ready to go by MOD next month. After, I can then install the ARP L19 Headstuds, new fuel rail feedline, hks cam gears, and install/do a few other things to her to get her ready for a dyno tune.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I got the new DSM76 setup on the car in time for MOD. The OEM coolant lines nor coolant line worked. I have to get all new lines. What worked best for the oil return line was a 45 off the oil pan and a 45 of the turbo. I installed the FP inline filter along with the new SS feed line. I had to have my DP converted to a Vband to connect to the new o2 housing and I ordered an generic 45 degree IC pipe and cut it to size for the Turbo outlet pipe. I'm not 100% happy with the pipe as it is at a slight angle but it works and fits well. Please don't mind the dirty engine bay and the huge diesel truck battery, it is temporary. LOL, I should say it adds another 50hp.

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5750.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I still have not had her tuned but I did get a chance to take her out to GMR this past weekend on the new setup. Even not tuned, I am relieved that the new bigger turbo did not take any of the enjoyment away. I never really felt it to be too laggy for the mountain roads. I did not push her hard again, because I still need a tune.

Last edited:

Jon

Staff member
Do you like living on the edge? Your negative battery terminal is so damn close to your positive. That is just asking for trouble if you ask me.
img.php

KiNgMaRtY

It actually looks closer in that shot. The battery is temporary and I tied down the little fuse box so it won't touch.

deez

My car's looking good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif glad to see you are enjoying her and kept some of the mods I did. Damn thing was by far the most fun car I've owned.

G

Staff member
That looks cramped! Time for a radiator re-locate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ghostinthevr4

G is right car looks great you've done a lot of great work to it your set up looks similar to my old set up variations I have an aluminum radiator similar to the one you have.

Keep an eye on your radiator and your silicon coupler, if you do a lot of driving and a lot of pulls that tab is going to start making contact with your coupler.

Happened to me I had a fp18g, HX-40, fp3065 and now a HTA3586. One of the best mods I ever did was change that upper intercooler pipe to a one piece hard pipe.

No more damaged coupler and no more piping hitting the radiator while racing or hard pulls, and that's with poly ureathane mounts all the way around.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting deez:
My car's looking good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif glad to see you are enjoying her and kept some of the mods I did. Damn thing was by far the most fun car I've owned.

Hi Edd!! Yes, I have been taking good care of her and enjoying her.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts