The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#761 Getting some lovin' PICS

NYC86ZC

Well i picked up #761 from The Kid a few months back. I haven't had any time to work on it because i've been working on my crx and busy doing wedding planning crap. I finally had a free day yesterday since our softball game was cancelled. So, i started to rip it apart.

Here is 761's FS thread:
click

TK(thanks again for the car), the PO, said the HG was bad and it definitely was. I did a compression test and it came out 150-140-0-0 and yet it still ran. Here are some pics from the day taken on my treo so they're not the best quality. Hopefully i can get it up and running soon. All i need is a balance shaft belt. I already have a low mileage head to throw on with a new OEM HG.

The oil didnt look all too good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

here's a pic of 761 jacked up:

With the head on:

and off...with a bit of the HG missing:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

When i pulled off the timing cover i was noticing little pieces of timing belt. Yet the timing belt looked fine. Yup, the balance shaft belt didn't look so good...

Random driving around pic:

quasimondo

Quote:
150-140-0-0 and yet it still ran.

See? Headgaskets are overrated.

Grats on the VR-4! Looks like someone got hungry and ate a chunk of that HG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JSchleim18

Lookin good Paul! Get to work on the Grey one while you're at it as well!

NYC86ZC

i wish i could work on both. i barely have enough time to work on the white one. If i don't get the car running this upcoming weekend i dont have a free weekend for two months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif After this weekend, i have my Birthday weekend, friend's Bachelor party, my wedding, honeymoon, honeymoon, friend's wedding, trip upstate. My first free saturday is sometime in November. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif then it starts to get cold and we don't have heat in the garage.

NYC86ZC

From what i can tell it went because the belt was old. The balance shafts were still looking good and not seized. I didn't check through the paperwork the PO gave me with the car, but he said it was replaced recently. The car sat for a while before i picked it up so I think time did its work on the belts. I checked what was left of the BS belt and it was brittle and there were cracks on all the nubs of the belt. The next thing i checked was the TB and it was looking bad too. It was getting dry rotted along the teeth as well. So, i'll just replace it for piece of mind. I am heading out the shop tonight so if i bring my good camera i'll take some more pics of it.

I think i'll just opt for a gates belt instead of the dealer ones to save a little money.

NYC86ZC

I just checked through the paperwork the PO gave me with the car and the timing belt and balance shaft belt were replaced on 1.6.06 by Andre at Pina. So, they're only about 2 and a half years old. Yes, they were both OEM belts too. The car looked like it sat for a year before i picked it up. I believe the belt failed because it sat and started to dry rot.
I picked up a new timing belt and balance shaft belt. All the parts are here so now it's a question of time. I'll keep this thread updated when it comes back together again.

Last edited:

NYC86ZC

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That my friend is the result of a REALLY bad headgasket failure. It's basically the coolant and oil mixing. It creates that milky substance.

When checking out a car that you're going to buy you should pull off the oil cap. Look under it. If you see that milky looking substance on it that very well could be a blown HG.

wow i hope mine dosent look that bad just pulled the plugs today has 180xxx miles on it....two spark plugs had ALOT of oil on them and the other two were fine, so im wondering what thte issue is...i have the time to work on my car just not alot of $ with 2400 in child support a month.. best of luck to ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NYC86ZC

Holy hell i hate thread locker. Every freakin bolt on this car was thread locked. The crank timing belt pulley was even thread locked on. That alone took me about 45 to get off.

Another thing i noticed with the car was that the head was rebuilt by BJs Head shop on 11.01 from the stamp on it. I noticed something was up when i pulled the head and noticed little "nicks" in almost all the pistons from valves hitting them. So, yeah the head was rebuilt, but i had another low mile head that I threw on there. I had a little issue with the dowel pin holes lining up. A little help with the dremel fixed that.

All that's left is to put on all the accessory belts, vacuum lines and hoses. hopefully i'll have time to finish it up on monday.

NYC86ZC

I spent the better part of this weekend working on 761 getting the head on and putting everything back together again. I ran into a few issues. One issue was the head was not mating properly to the block. The dowel pins and holes were lining up properly but the head was not sitting flush against the block. I dremeled out a little material from the one dowel pin hole and then the head seated properly on the block.

Another was that my OCD kicked in and I wasn't sure if i set the timing belt and BS belt properly. So after i was about to put on the water pump pulley i ripped it all apart again to make sure i did it right. And of course i did it right the first time, but now i have piece of mind.

Next up was putting all the belts and hoses back on. After everything was all ready to go i primed the engine to circulate some of the oil throughout the engine. Once it was all primed it was time to start it up. It started right up and idled at a smooth 1k.

The head i put on was not the one i pulled off the engine. It was a low mile head that was laying around for a while. I could tell it was a while because the lifters were clacking away once it fired up. Even after about 10 minutes they were still very loud. Also, the engine was pushing a crap load of white smoke. i shutdown the engine and retorqued all the head bolts to spec. Then i hooked up the jumper cables to start it up again. It started right up and the lifters were sounding much better than before. i let it run for about another 10 minutes and the horrible lifter noise went away. The white smoke is still there but not as bad as it was initially. So, I'm hoping the white smoke is coming from all the coolant/water sitting in the stock exhaust and just getting heated up.

Some other things with 761 is that the A/C still works well. The Odyssey battery no longer holds a charge after getting jumped. I'll try leaving it on a trickle charger to see if that helps.

Now it looks like i have a new DD for the winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NYC86ZC

Hmmm..the car is still smoking. It's starts up fine and doesn't smoke at all at startup. After the car starts to run for a few minutes it starts to puff some white smoke out the tailpipe. Then it gets a bit worse, but it's not like spy hunter smoke screen bad. At first i thought it was a bad head gasket, but i'm not too sure. It doesnt have the sweet coolant burning smell. It just smells like exhaust.

The guy i bought the head from said the head was good and it didnt smoke at all. I'm a little skeptical and i know i should've brought it to a machinist to have it checked out, but it's a little too late for that now. i have no problem pulling the head off again, but i want to find out why it is smoking.

i checked the turbo shaft play and it's nice and tight. So i dont think it's the oil getting past the seals and cooking in the exhaust housing.

I've only driven the car around our small parking lot and wasnt really able to get on it and daily drive it because the car is not registered. My friends think that it's just residual crap sitting in the exhaust from the original really badly blown HG and that if i drive it around it'll clear up. I've had the car sitting for an hour or two just idling and revving the engine every once in a while hoping to blow out the crap, but it's not working.

Any thoughts before i pull the head off again and send it out to be checked?

004tsi

check compression, check oil, coolant. I would say if they all look good, ya need to get it hot, does it have a cat? I have seen crap build up in exhaust and ya got to burn it out I don't think just idling and revving it some would do a good job, does it run well? smooth?

By looks of the H/G pics, you were pushing quite alot of milkshake through your exhaust valves.
Alot of that probably got into your cat and muffler.

Take her out on the Southern State and blow her out!!

Last edited by a moderator:

NYC86ZC

Thanks for the advice guys. That's the same thing my friends in my shop were saying. That all the stuff from the blown HG is sitting in the exhaust, which is completely stock. It's the original exhaust with the cat still in there.

The coolant and oil look good. There's no mixing going on that i can tell and neither is losing fluids.

The car runs extremely smooth. My friend couldn't believe how nice it sounds with the mileage.

Compression test showed anywhere from 135psi-150psi in all cylinders.

I live on the south shore, but the car is in the shop on the north shore in East Northport. So, I'll throw on some plates and bring a cop buddy for a ride or two on the Northern State Parkway to see if that clears it up.

Last edited:

Good to hear that you are making progress with the resurrection of #761. Sorry that I turned 5 quarts of week-old Mobil 1 into cappuccino before you started working on it.

Aside from the HG failure, it always ran very smooth for me, and was a rock-solid DD. I am sure that once you either burn up the goo in the exhaust, or upgrade it as I was planning on doing within the coming year, you will be in good shape for many miles to come.

Spy Hunter FTW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T.K.

NYC86ZC

Last night i headed out to the shop with my cop buddy so we could go for a ride and blow all the stuff out of the exhaust. The car started up nicely and held a nice idle. As usual it wasn't blowing any smoke at first either. We hop in the car and start heading down the road. As i pull up to the first light i start to see the smoke out the exhaust. I pull away from the light and it's only getting worse. As i get up to speed i can see a decent sized cloud behind me. I hop on the parkway and start to get on it pulling to 6k rpms. The car was still smoking pretty bad. I'm thinking to myself; great now i'm driving this car around with no registration or insurance, and i didn't bring the paperwork on the car so i cant even prove i own it and i'm creating a smoke cloud behind me. The cops will have a field-day with me even if my friend in the passenger seat is a NYC cop. So now i'm getting scared that it's only going to get worse or i'll get pulled over from the smoke. The next exit i pull off the parkway. I make the U turn to get on going back to the shop. Right now it's smoking more than ever. I start to get on the entrance ramp and i'm pissed off at the car so i do another hard pull and bring it up to 6.5k rpms. Now i'm cruising along doing 70mph in the left lane and i look behind me and it's all clear. Not a hint of smoke at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif When i made that Uturn it must've moved around the final liquid in the exhaust and then i blew it out. Back at the shop it was fine with no smoke.

So, right now it's looking pretty good. I'll check on it again tonight if i have time to see if it's still doing well.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts