The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

736/2000

tyeler18

I've owned this car for 3+ years now and have been dealing with the neglect from past owners without really fixing anything. The car has sat in my shop for the past year, mostly untouched as I traded off my street bike for a 98 Trans am to daily. I finally decided to sell the trans am and put my race 1g and the galant back on the front burner. She's got 190k on her, and the owner before the guy I bought it from rallyx'd the car (hence the rally armours) and definitely put this old girl through her tests. It's had a stock exhaust with it's fair share of swiss cheese looking rotted holes in it since I bought it and it's annoyed the living hell out of me since. The stock radiator was slowly starting to die off and seep at the crimps, the suspension was original and after a few seasons of rallyx and 160k+ it was well past due for replacement. So I took the money I got from the trans am and started modding an, otherwise stock, 736/2000. I've since installed a mishimoto X-line from a 1g, modified the stock brackets and crammed a factory 1g fan in. The waterpump, t-stat, and every single hose that has coolant through it was replaced at the same time. Timing belt was replaced along with rebuilding the oil pump, and valve seals were replaced with Viton GSC's as they've been leaking since at least 140k (that I found out from a previous owners post on here). Of course the 14b was never good enough for this heavy ass pig, so an MHI B16g was fitted and I mutilated my old school buschur turbo back from my 1g to rid the nasty raspy stock exhaust. With the new found airflow I needed a way to safely turn up the wick, so I built an evo 8 ecu patch harness, threw in some 1200cc PTE's and a wally 255. Of course power is useless without being able to put it down, so I picked up a set of evo 9 bilsteins and some swift spec R springs to keep the car planted, and powerstop Z26 pads with centric rotors all around to stop. I'll be upgrading the wheels/tires as Arizona begins it's HPDE and autox season in a month.

Took a few random pictures from these past couple weekends at my shop as I finished up most of the maintenance/mods.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Agreed, looking good.

tyeler18

Back from the dead! I've been trying to get in the habit of updating build threads. This one's long over due, but I'll try and post some highlights since the car has changed quite a bit over the years.

Started off with wanting some hood vents. I ordered a set of evo 3 replicas, installed them, but wasn't really satisfied with how they looked. They were about a half inch too tall compared to factory evo 3's. They did help quite a bit with engine bay heat and just overall cooling system performance though. I picked up a junkyard hood to cut up, my factory hood had some goofy dings in it and wasn't really cost effective for fixing.

736/2000 by Tyeler Andersen, on Flickr

Next I wanted to update the lighting. My 93 crystals worked, but they didn't work that great. The HID's were pretty blinding, so I picked up a set of J30 infinity projectors from the yard and started cutting up the housings to put these in. I wanted to try my hand at a set of demon eyes so I stuck a red LED in each projector. It was a cool project, but I don't ever turn them on anymore. I only ever turn them on to show people what they look like. The lights themselves work great now though! You can see my super tall repo evo 3 vents here.

Shortly after this my 2010 date code tires developed a nice bubble from the tire separating. I wasn't planning to 5 lug swap that weekend, but I had everything to do it and just knocked it all out. I've had this set of 5Zigens in the garage for a few years and finally was able to install them

Had a lifter fail, they've always ticked cold but this one finally collapsed. Post 3g lifter install, it's still nice and quiet after doing these.

Had enough of the repo vents, found a guy on the evo 3 forums from the UK willing to ship me a full set of evo 3 factory vents. I paid $80 shipped for these and they made it in like 3 days from the UK. I was pretty impressed and they fit a whole lot nicer. I was talked into adding the 3 vent for the intake, I've killed 3 MAF's from this damn vent and finally got smart and put a water guard over the filter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Now it was time for mods. The 16g was fun, but at nearly 200k miles it was time to make some power. A local kid bought my 16g setup and I picked up an FP red, fp manifold, and a tial external setup. Also grabbed a set of 2150FIC's and an ETS 1g street core. I have A/C still in the car and wanted to make sure things stayed cooled so a 1g mishimoto X-line radiator went in. Shifted the radiator mounts and made some custom piping to use the back door exit 1g intercooler. It's one hell of a tight fit but it does work great.

Untitled by Tyeler Andersen, on Flickr

Copper color for everything!

One of my buddies made me a -10 catch can.

Got the parts barely in time to make it to mod, but it made it.

Halloween-

Some random photos over the years just driving it around.

Getting caught back up. The car's been in storage the past 2 years as I have no more room at my house for cars. We had a pool built over the winter and put an RV gate in on the side of our house which meant I could store a car on the side of the house. Back home the galant finally came! Which also means I can start installing some of the mods I've been holding onto for it and finally get this thing cranked back up. I blew the stock clutch disc up shortly after enabling launch control on the evo ecu, so I stuck a quartermaster twin disc in the car along with a jacks stage 2 trans and tcase, but aside from that I hadn't done much on the car post FP red install. I picked up a JDM RS front bumper for the car and got around to installing that last weekend. The plan is to grab 2 good shape fenders from the yard as I'm scared to pull my side skirts off the car and see what mine look like and then send the car to a buddy for a full repaint so I can finally have a fully color matched car after nearly 6 years of rocking the silver hood and now black bumper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

CutlassJim

Love the update! Love the car. Love that you've kept it for so long. Love the parts you're using (I might steal that catch can location). And love that driveway shot. I had that exact same 1G back in the day and I still think it's the best body style and color.

tyeler18

Thanks!

I've had this evo ecu in the car for quite a few years and finally had a chance to play with the NLTS settings which have never worked. So much nicer to shift since I've been accustomed to the NLTS in my evo. Also turned on the launch maps which seem to be working great now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MellowVR4

What's the engine set up on the Montero?

tyeler18

It's an LQ4 6.0L with a 78/75. 4l80/NP263 tcase to keep it 4x4

tyeler18

Everyone always wants to go for a ride in the evo or the vette, but the montero is the sleeper monster in my fleet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif nothing like pulling on a new camaro or mustang in a lifted brick on 33s.

I'm a 4g and LS guy, the red e30 is an LS1/t56 car also. I started building it before I swapped the montero. I love the 4g but the torque of an LS makes for a wonderful daily.

Here's a not up to date build thread on the montero. I haven't had time to update it recently. Trucks only on 12lbs of boost right now but once summer is over it's going on the dyno and turning it up proper.

click

lowcashleblanc

Good god that thing looks fun.

I just read through your progress, nice work. Making me want to keep my 01 Trooper and LS swap it or try to find a 1st gen Montero. 3rd gens are pretty nice lookin also. Always had a soft spot for them.

tyeler18

Everyone always mistakes this for a trooper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif My neighbor bought a trooper after going for a ride in mine thinking they were the same thing too lol.

One of the montero guys has an LS in his gen 3 montero and is putting an M122 blower on it, looked like an easy swap in there as well but he's not done yet.

MellowVR4

I've had a few of those Montero's 1st gens and always wanted to install the 3000gt TT engine. But that set up is sick and I bet is tons of fun!! What kind of suspension do you have on the Montero? How does it feel hauling ass? Lol

tyeler18

Right now it's on virtually stock Gen 1 suspension. Torsion bars cranked in the front and gen 2 rear coil springs, just off the shelf KYB shocks. It actually handles really well up to around 130mph. The wide tire stance significantly improved how top heavy it felt with stock wheels and tires. The brakes are what get a little hairy at high speed since it has to absorb about 6" of compression before it actually starts slowing down. I had the pleasure of watching it hang off the rear quarter of my friends 625whp C5 corvette yesterday while my buddy was driving it. We did a 20-120 pull while I was passenger in my friends C5 and I think all parties involved were surprised to see this giant toaster of a tank barely getting pulled away from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I forgot to warn my buddy about slowing it down from those speeds though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

MellowVR4

Holy crap that sounds intense lol you inspiring me to do a fast truck build like that because I just know its wicked sweet. Nice job dude

tyeler18

Do it, it's a blast. This was supposed to just be an N/A V8 tow rig that I could reliably haul around a single car trailer with. It snowballed a bit from there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

tyeler18

Derailing this build thread with montero stuff but I got to play in the "mud" we got this weekend. Supposed to rain all week so I'm hoping for some real mud to go play in.

click

Waiting on a few parts back from paint on the galant and I'll have some updates for it. It's currently hogging the evo's garage stall and I'd like to get it out.

MellowVR4

That thing sounds sweet, their is a montero thread in the anything goes section. I had a few of these in the past. Recently gotten back into 4runners and stuff but sure do love the 1st gen Montero.

tyeler18

Update time! Had a roller coaster of the past few months since my last post. I had just turned the FP red up some more and a few days later while passing someone, top of 3rd I let out to decel and was greeted by a cloud of mosquito repellent out the back. My intake vent in my hood has ruined a few MAF's from water and I've had water in the turbo because of it. I built a rain guard for it a few years back, but apparently it wasn't fully effective as there was blue car wash soap in the inlet of the turbo from when I washed it a few days before. It was used before I got it, I've put almost 15k on it. It was time for a rebuild, wheel hit the housing so it was pretty much all new all said and done.

I figured with the car down it was the perfect time to paint the front end. The whole car needs a repaint but that's not a path I'm ready for yet as I still want some other parts like a JDM rear bumper before painting the whole thing. For the first time in 6 years I have a color matched car!

Some of you may notice there's a new montero in the driveway. A few months back we had been playing in the desert during a monsoon, pulled out onto the road and showing off in front of my buddy that was behind me in his tacoma I laid into it for a nice long rolling burnout, too long actually. Diff wasn't even locked up, just a 2wd one wheel peel which normally goes nice a straight. At about 60mph and 130+ wheel speed the truck hooked to the right and like a mustang driver showing off at a car show we hit the curb, a giant landscaping boulder, spun a 180 and landed on the roof.

Luckily neither my girlfriend or myself were hurt at all, in fact we had it hooked, flipped and on my way home within 5 minutes of flipping it. The white truck is the new truck, we swapped the driveline in it over labor day weekend with the addition of a cam, triple disc billet converter and a new intake manifold. No reason it shouldn't touch 900+whp now and hopefully roll back onto it's wheels the next time it rolls over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts