The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

642 rebuild

For those who read my initial introduction post on 642/2000, you know what a mess the engine bay and trunk were. Rausch saw it when it was in Dan's hands and can attest to the state of hack it was in. Initially set out just to fix up the loose ends to get it running and then drive it, but once I started digging into it relized that I may as well pull everything, fix it right, and throw it all back together so that I know its done right.
So here's the before pics:

The major kill factor of it was the way he spliced into the wiring harness, the poor hose routing, the fact that it was spray painted over the oil/dirt leaving a tackie feel to it, oh and the fact that it looked like S*@#!!!

Here's her part way cleaned after everything was pulled:

And after paint:

While everything was out, I stripped all the engine brackets off and repainted them, as well as the valve cover, and intake. I was amazed at all the shady work I found, like a zip tied CV boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. Also took this time to get familiar with the wiring harness and the service manual. Strip all AC, PS, ABS, and the unneeded emissions (no checks around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Then I started reinstalling everything, with the new goodies.

I still have quite a bit to do in the engine bay, but I figured I'd post some progress and get some feedback. I haven't even touched anything else yet. Going to be fixing the sending unit flange on the gas tank and reduing all the wiring for the battery in the trunk this week, as well as buttoning up a lot of the loose ends in the engine bay.
The other big one is new FMIC and piping. I ordered an EVO8 off ebay, but it never came and I'm still trying to get my money back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
If anyone knows a good deal on one let me know.

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Looking good man!

Thanks. Still got a ways to go. Finished machining some new shifter cable bushings yesterday w/ some spare nylatron that I had for paintball gun bolts, and some solid shifter mounts. Should firm thing up a lot. Now if only someone would send me pics of some SS brake lines, that would finish off my pedal/shifter feel list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I know- I suck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Installed new shifter cable bushings yesterday. Nice fit.
Also grabbed some pics of the new shoes, plus a free pair (ie they came with my golf which was free) that I'm considering.

17x7 +40 offset exel ennios w/ kumho ecsta supra 225/40s

and the debateable:
18x7.5 +42 ICW DV8s which need new tires.

Will get pics of both on the car to see how they look. Keepin the stockers for winter.

those first ones kind of look like momo sports. I love those wheels

momoSPORT.jpg

Not to fond of those momo's personally. Always wanted a set of momo evo 3s though.

Finished up the spacers for under the radiator and got it in its final mounting position (not fully bolt though bc its coming back out to get fan mounted).

Also got the rest of my goodies in for hooking up my battery.

Ran 0 ga for power and ground up to engine bay. Going to get terminals and everything else on tonight.

turbowop

You really didn't need to run a ground wire all the way from the trunk to the engine bay. Just connect it to the top of the rear shock mount and it works great. I also would have ran the large power wires through the huge grommet behind the splash guards in the passenger front wheel well.

Heard mixed on the ground in trunk, but it was grounded back there when I got it and it was having some serious flow issues. Moving battery up front solved it temperarily. If I learned anything from my comp stereo days though, its that having the battery, engine, and chassis all directly grounded to eachother is Always better then using chassis as central ground. Not neccessary, but gauranteed to flow better/crank over easier.
Might look at that grommet and see if it works better though.

Finished removing the ABS control unit, g sensors and all of its chassis wiring last night. didn't get around to buttoning up the battery though.
We'll see if I get anything done this weekend due to weather. If nothing else, I'll make an EGR blockoff, and new shifter bushing. Might even make a new bottom portion to the FPR to mount it straight to rail depending on how the internals look.

Been swamped at home/work and haven't gotten a lot worth posting done. Found that the driver seat mounts were pretty rusted right where they bolted down, so I cleaned them up and put two coats of POR-15 on them. Made up a set of delrin shifter bushings and solid mounts and got it all put back together. Finished installing battery in trunk, ran wire for EGT, and finished wrapping the front engine bay harness. Still have to wrap the engine harness, but once thats done, the FMIC and piping will be all thats left under the hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

So haven't gotten a lot done this week. Might be picking up another car though. 91' GSX, auto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif, clean chassis, bone stock, but not running. He thinks its the CPS, but not sure. I should be able to get it for 400. Not sure for driving or parts yet, but if its parts I'm splitting the cost with my friend and he's doing a turbo conversion on his laser. Keep posted on how that pans out.

Finally got an FMIC setup on order thanks to Jason (shiskibob).
ended up working like 12.5 hrs yesterday, so I only had to work 3 hrs today since we're not allowed to work any OT. That means I should get a lot of stuff buttoned down this weekend.

Got that GSX that I'm looking at running. Had leaky cap in ecu, and a pos bov venting to atmosphere w/ no plug on the intake side recirculation hole, and a snapped fuel return line. Runs pretty smooth now, though it still has some issues (hole in sending unit, radiator fans aren't working, and who knows what else)
On the Galant end, I finally started sorting through some of the details this weekend. Finished wrapping and tucking the engine wiring harness, moved the FRP (again), mounted a 240sx windshield washer resivoir where the ABS unit was, and figured out where my AFC and third gauge were mounting (decided to squeeze them in CD player slot). Also picked up some SS brake lines and A pillar pod from Aaron. Try to get up some pics tomorrow.

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Was nice meeting you! Think the car is in good hands.

So there was a big 42# box waiting for me when I got home on friday. Finally got my intercooler setup!!! Got it test fit and did some shorter rerouting, then stripped all the pipes down and repainted them, as well as polishing and painting the end tanks. My gaskets won't be in till tuesday, so no pics of the setup till then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
I'll be making some mounts for my radiator fan today, as well as some other misc items like EGR blockoff,caps for AC holes in firewall, and ring for sending unit in tank.
Teaser cell phone pics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts