The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5th and reverse synchros

mata

I will be working on rebuilding the transmission on my Gvr4 shortly.
while ordering a new set of synchros from jackstransmissions and noticed that 5th gear and reverse gear might vary based upon the year of the car?
according to jacktrans, 1g awd transmissions 5th and reverse synchros change from 90-early91 and 92-99
anyone know which are the ones I should be getting for my car?
thanks in advance

tektic

As far as I know, all usdm gvr4 are post trans revision. theres a build date written on the sticker in the drivers door jam. Give that to your vendor and he should be able to sell you the right one.

mata

thanks tektic, basically thats what i needed to know....will go ahead and order those parts today.
btw, thanks for your quick answers guys, looking forward to spending some time in this forum.

EMX5636

A better way is to use the transmission code stamped up top on the bellhousing. Unless you are the original owner, there's no way to know if it's the original trans for your car. It should (unless an early JDM trans) start with W5M33-x-xxxx.

Then follow this click.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned