The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

503 left me stranded today...

turbowop

Luckily, it was only 20 blocks and a fairly cheap tow from home. Troubleshooting the issue found a bad fuel pump. A Toyota Supra unit. I called Brian to get his opinion and he said it's normal for the Supra pumps to just up and quit rather than die slowly like other pumps? I was just driving down the road at 30mph when I lost all power. Kept blowing my fuel pump rewire fuse. Good thing I wasn't 400 miles away at a ski resort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I got the pump out of the tank and putting 12volts to it does nothing. She's dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Terry Posten

Good thing you installed a proper fuse.

A good lesson for all you shadetree mechanics. Use high quality proper sized wiring with correctly rated fuses and you can save yourself at best a headache or at worse a car fire.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Glad she didn't leave you stranded far away from home. Are you putting in a whinebro next?

turbowop

The rewire and pump was done well before I ever purchased this car. I did clean up the wiring after it was in my hands though. I've never even done a rewire job on 1051.

I'll probably just go with a Walbro 190. I had good luck with the one I had in 1051 back in the day and the 255HP in it now is still pumping well. The Supra pump is a bit overkill anyway and the car never had an AFPR, so this probably answers the reason it runs a bit rich at idle.

atc250r

Staff member
Just an FYI, even the 190 may over run the stock FPR. I believe Steve was over running with his. I think I even let him borrow my gauge set up to confirm it.

Come to think of it, Nate had a Supra pump take a poop on him this season. Bad year for Poopra pumps?

Oh, and set your base timing damn it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

John

turbowop

Yeah, but I don't think the 190 will overrun as bad? My fuel trims back in the day using that pump on 1051 were always hovering around 100%. I have a gauge kit I can install on the top of the filter to confirm, but it couldn't be any worse than the Supra pump, yanno?

And yeah, I'll make sure to adjust my base timing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

curtis

To late now but the mustangs 87-93 use to eat the walbro's in them and a little trick I learned was to kick the gas tank directly below the pump. About 85% of the time it would re start and get you home. I think the main reason they died was because fuel is heavy and all mustang guys run around with 5 gallons all the time.

464/2K

Wop, pick up an evo pump and save your self the whine. Evo pumps are around 180 or so.

^^ yes. I read some testing though that showed when rewired they out flow a Whineboro 190, and they also have the Denso OEM reliability...oh yeah, and they are quiet lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

"Denso reliability" is an ironic term in this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I never really understood the hoopla over the "whine" that everybody says is so horrible with the Walbros. Both the older 190 and the current 255HP I've had on 1051 aren't loud enough to warrant me wanting to spend money on anything else. Then again, the car is pretty loud and vibraty. I'll see if I can find an Evo unit I guess.

Last edited:

HAHA yeah i know right. Ive always loved the Poopra pumps in my 1g's and never had one fail. Must have been something in the gas this year LOL.

464/2K

Same with 464. Too loud to care, but for a car that is driven long distance, it would piss me off.

The 255hp in my 2g is SO EFFIN loud it sounds like theres an A1000 strapped to the tank. Its ridiculous, one of these days im just waiting for it to explode leaving me in a "lethal weapon" car explosion.

Brianawd

Man you guys think a 255hp is loud. Try running a 255hp with a O44 inline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

Sorry to hear about getting stranded... its never fun to have to call a tow. Hope it didn't ruin your T-day weekend. By the way, you up for hitting steven's in a few weeks?

4thStroke

Wait, isnt this the guys who said he trusted 503 to take him anywhere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Sorry. Had to.

turbowop

It's funny. While I was driving around about 20mins prior, I thought to myself "wow, the car is running really well with this 2gMaf/SAFC combo" that I just installed. Then, on my way home from Napa to get oil and a filter, it happened. Haven't had to deal with something like that in a long time. I had enough speed to get into the center turn lane and pull onto a side street, but an oncoming car was coming too fast and I had to slow down to let him go by. By then, I'd lost the momentum I needed to get to the side road and had to stop and put on the emergency flashers. Pushing the car over to the side road by myself with my fucked up shoulder was great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I seriously would trust this car to go anywhere. Stupid fuel pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif

BTW, Spencer. I bought an English stage4 trans for 1051 today. No more grinding into third hopefully. w00t! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

944b10db50579a9.jpg

Last edited:

4thStroke

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

WTF, they painted it for you?

What is all included in their stage 4 rebuild? I dont know what stage mine was, but this second one has been whored out I think but overall a fairly healthy stock rebuild. No bells or whistles, but the twin should make up for a lot that its lacking.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts