The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS Delete Question

I have searched for this and could not find a definitive answer. When removing the 4ws and keeping the 3 bolt. What do you do with the rear pump on the diff? Can you leave it there or do you have to pull it off and find something to cover the hole? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Albert

Muskrat

It depends on what you plan to do. If you want to replace the pumpkin with a LSD unit, or do a 4-bolt swap, I'd just leave it in for now. If you're going to leave it for a while, IMO, the correct thing to do is pull the pump and have a block-off plate made.

Ok maybe a dunb question but why would want to remove the 4WS? Dossnt help us connering??

Hertz

Staff member
In the majority of our cars it is a point of failure as the lines from front to back get rusted out.

Also those who are more performance-minded find that it is a nuisance when racing, leads to understeer, unpredictable activation, makes the rear sloppy... Removing it entirely (with a AWD DSM rear subframe) reduces weight but blocking it off is a common solution.

It is great to have for slalom conditions (i.e. driving like a total jackass on the highway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and makes for fun drifting AWD donuts in the snow.

If you don't have a need to remove it, I would say keep it while it still works.

I have the engine out my car and I think I am going to pull BEFORE I start having problems. Picked a 1G steering rack fairly cheap yesterday. Going to do the whole thing. I heard that it makes the car super unpredictable in the snow and unless it is maintained well (and it never is) it just makes the car rather sketchy.

If it worked like the prelude's 4WS, I would DEFINITELY KEEP IT!

Quoting Hertz:

Also those who are more performance-minded find that it is a nuisance when racing, leads to understeer, unpredictable activation, makes the rear sloppy... Removing it entirely (with a AWD DSM rear subframe) reduces weight but blocking it off is a common solution.

PS can it be any subframe? 1G? 2g? etc thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You don't really need to change the subframe unless you are doing it as a unit. they are identical if you remove the rear rack.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned