The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4g63 replacement!!!!

pudge76

how to remove my motor? how hard is it ? i got a rebuilt motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

James

UNBOLT THE BOLTS DUMBASS.

How else would you do it?

GSX_TC

Lol for some reason I hear yoda When I read that first post.

raptorWagon

Quoting James:

A little harsh for the newbie section lol, need to use more colorful creative words! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jesus_Negros

Disconnect all the connectors from the harness to motor and wires etc, disconnect the radiator, unbolt the trans, hook it up to a hoist, remove the motor mounts, pull the bitch out. It's a bit more to it but once you get started its an easy task. Also, have some friends help or something. Bribe them with beer and nachos, you'll need the help.

You guys are nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting James:

A little harsh for the newbie section lol, need to use more colorful creative words! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Haha don't be fooled. This was originally posted in the technical section. If it was originally posted here I would have replaced dumbass with silly goose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

raptorWagon

lol, shows how much I check the forum sometimes lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
I moved this from the technical section last night so the young man can get some real help.

... kind of bummed at some of the responses he was getting there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's important to realize that we all started somewhere,

... sounds like he's starting at ground zero, and could really use some real help.

That said, this thread doesn't belong in the technical section.

It "fits" here in the newbie section.

It must be said that one of the reasons folks were so harsh is we've all seen this exact scenerio play out before.

Enthusiasm is good, but just tearing into sh*t willy nilly can lead to a trunk full of unlabelled parts and another vr4 headed to the crusher.

Pudge, pulling a motor for the first time may seem overwhelming, but broken down into individual steps, it's not such a big deal.

You need a factory service manual.

Buy it before you start, and read thru the whole engine section before you pick up a single wrench!

I would also strongly suggest you find somebody local who's familiar with the 4g63/Galant platform and have them help you.

... have some pizza/food available, (and beer for after the job is done.)

Get some ziplocs/plastic storage containers and a magic marker and bag and tag/label every single bolt and part that comes off the motor/chassis

Take shitloads of pics at every step of the way, and take your time.

Being organized is half the battle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It will help your cause immensely if you understand nobody here is going to give you a step by step/spoon feeding of all the minutiae involved in this task.

it's just not going to happen like that

People will help, but it's on you to handle things in an orderly, well thought out manner.

Take your time, pay attention to whomever you can find to help you, and treat them with the respect they deserve for taking the time to help you.

... life is short.

... working on someone else's bucket takes time.

... time away from women, alcohol, and/or noble pursuits

capische? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mac

It might also help to be more specific with your questions and give some background info on the car and task at hand.

If you do that, it will be much easier to get help.

pudge76

first off im 18 and have a vr4 it is my dream car , ever since i was little , also im not a idiot i was just asking , thank you!

JCorbo25

Go very slow and easy, labeling things you remove. I'd probably drop the transmission first out the bottom (follow the clutch swap removal process), then pull the motor out the top with a hoist.

LIV4PSI

Quoting pudge76:
first off im 18 and have a vr4 it is my dream car , ever since i was little , also im not a idiot i was just asking , thank you!

Don't take offense. Your question was just very vague, there is alot involved in pulling an engine, and one has to assume that you understand part of it.

My best advice is bag and tag every bolt, and label the wiring connectors if you need to. Organization will make your life so much easier. I would also do as much maintenance as you can while its apart. I'm a big fan of "doing it while you're in there"

Last edited:

James

It wasn't even the vagueness that got me. It was just the 5 year old grammar/approach of the post.

Like everyone said, organization is key. Taking it out is super easy. Putting it back in is hard. I'm bad with plugs so what I did was took different color sharpies and color coded each plug with its mate.

Vr4junkie

@Pudge76. If I were u I would go to the junk yard and practice pulling a motor out there its like $2 to go in and 20 for the hoist. That's how I learned and if you break something no biggie not your car plus you can see what your going to run into when ever you start tearing down ur engine. Oh yea lots of zip lock bags it's a bitch when you can't find a single bolt and can't move on to the next part cause your to busy bolt hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

veganbutcher

This might be a harder task than once thought. The first engine I removed was a 22re from a 1985 toyota celica and even that was too hard to do by myself. If you have close friends that have experience doing this kind of thing I would ask them for help.

JNR

this is a tough crowd! Afterall, we were all born with inherit knowledge and are all internet experts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

OP - I'd suggest doing an online search and read some books on the subject and take your time, laebling things (as suggested) and taking plenty of pictures...

I'd go ahead and budget new hoses and belts since the engine is out and take some time to clean up the firewall and all that, since you'll have the room.

Working on cars is pretty basic/simple and anybody can do it, provided you have common sense and the resources (i.e. quality tools)...may want to rent an engine hoist and remove the hood (scribe where the hinge flange(s) line up so it will save time from not having to adjust things.

Don't be afraid to try anything, but you may want somebody more experienced at hand (or close by) *just in case*.

Oh yeah, the idea is to not to have leftover screws and stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's always a good idea, if you have the room, to layout what you take off in order and then reverse the process when you put it back to together.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned