The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

474/1000 hitting the track tonight 3/28/13

matt92vr4

Well it's open test and tune tonight and this may be the last chance I get before it's 90 degrees every day for another 5 years. Should be about 50 tonight and 10% chance of rain. The G has been loving this cold weather! Gotta go to the track.

Last time out was Jan 2012. I ran a 14.5@93. That was K&N, gutted cat, MBC @ 17psi

Current mods:
2g pistons
evo8 valves, springs, lifters, etc
mls head gasket
arp head studs
BS delete
poly motor mounts
2g exhaust mani
s16g
2g o2 housing
1000cc injectors
chipped eprom
walbro
drop in K&N
MBC@14psi
gutted cat

I hope to beat the 14.5@93. The plan is to get two clean runs in exactly how the car sits. Then I will drop the crappy 2" crush bend exhaust, install my 3"DP and see how much that has been holding me back. Then I'll crank the boost up a bit and see if I can make it home without breaking an axle. I'll probably add a little 110 gas before I crank it up too much as insurance against knock.

I think I'll either break an axle or find the limit to the "stock" clutch before I go home. I'm mainly very interested to see exactly how much the crappy exhaust has been holding me back.

What do you guys think?

James

I haven't broke an axle yet luckily. 25psi on evo3. 4500rpm launches.

Good luck!

matt92vr4

Sweet! I hope mine hold up that well. You wanna roll down to Bradenton tonight? Couple of old fugly Galants beating up on the new v8's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James

I wish I could! Ill be in work till 10:30.

I've yet to take the G down to the track.

jnava

Staff member
once said runs are done, pics or it never happened.

marvinmadman

I had pretty much the same mods except for a stock motor, 720 denso inj, maft, stock gutted exhaust with no muffler. 12.86. 1.68 60'

matt92vr4

I agree! We'll have to settle for timeslip pics. I cannot find anyone to go with me to take pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wow, I'd love to see 12's tonight. I'm still running the stock 1g MAF, stock IC and piping. That will be the next upgrade after this!

Last edited:

marvinmadman

Oops. I had a fmic with stock piping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

DynastyLCD

the clutch will give way before axles do. that stock IC is going to kill your IAT's. there's some very good news in all of this Matt - as soon as you upgrade the exhaust to a 3" and you get a real FMIC setup, that car is going to really wake up!

i never started breaking axles til i started running my blue 1gb hard and launching it.... 6500 RPM two step and 30+ psi anti-lag launches, 255 sized KDW's and a twin disc will do this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif before the axles my main issue was breaking crown shafts (part between the center and front differentials) i also broke a LOT more driveline parts with a regular center differential.

i know everyone here hates welded diff's... but seriously, f*** breaking spider gears, and f*** buying 4-spiders.

good luck at the track fellow GVR4 brother!!!

Wizardawd

I used to just unbolt the exhuast and tie it to the side on cars that were running the stock exhaust. Bone stock AWDs running say 14.8-15.0 would drop to 13.8ish just from removing the stock exhaust. And the gutted cat doesn't help at all. It was debated back in the day that it actually may be more of a restriction than a non-gutted cat.

I agree the stock IC is gonna kill you a bit, but at least the exhaust can be worked around while you are at the track.

Stock clutches usually worked fine until the low 13s and upper 12s.

Wiz

Gizmovr4

Good luck tonight!! - It's great to see vr4's hitting the track!! I'm itching to hit the track myself - it's just been too cold here in north NJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

James

This thread lacks information now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jnava

Staff member
I will agree, I think said shenanigans never occurred. Pics are needed to redeem yo self

matt92vr4

This old fogie got home at 12:30 last night and went to bed! Sorry for the delayed update /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Had a really good night. Didn't break anything. Track was pretty packed so I was only able to get in 4 runs. I took a closer look at my boost gauge and it looks like I was running 15psi. I didn't get enough runs to crank up the boost or add race gas. So all of these runs are at 15psi. Did not bog any launches. Launches around 4500. Clutch was not too happy.

Run 1: Slipped clutch too slow. Finally caught in 2nd gear.
[email protected]

Run 2: Pretty clean run.
[email protected]

Dropped exhaust and installed $70 EBay downpipe. Fit perfectly.

Run 3: Pretty clean run.
[email protected]

Run 4: Pretty clean run. Shifted into 4th a little earlier than the other runs.
[email protected]

I'm pretty happy with the times. I left the downpipe on and tossed the old exhaust in the trash lol. I think it's safe to say the old exhaust was taking away 5mph.

It's a long road. Next step is to finish the exhaust, install the EVO9 ic and ECMLink with SD. I think the stock ic and 1g maf are really holding the car back. I might return to the track one more time as is with more boost. Thanks for looking.

GSX_TC

Congrats! Sounds like you met your goal.

DynastyLCD

good job Matt! way to rep GVR4's!

get some V3 lovin' and a 2g MAF, i think that would work wonders for your setup. being able to tune it yourself will always be better than a chip. junk that 1g MAF lol. a step up for the clutch would be very helpful as well. personally, i think with V3, 2g MAF, more boost, your IC setup, and a clutch to hold your new found power, it will be a 12 sec setup all day long!

MellowVR4

Great job, every run was better then the next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

matt92vr4

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting the exhaust and intake setup complete. I have the ECMLinkv3 with speed density sitting in my tool box. I just need to find the time.

What do you guys think, is it worth messing with SD on a 16g car? I know running a 2G maf would be easier. How about drive-ability? Maybe I will start with that and then go SD down the road to see the difference.

I really don't foresee ever going bigger than a evo3 16g on this car. Mid 12's is plenty fast for me on a DD with the kids in the back. What is the HP limits of the 2g maf? Thanks for you input.

Wizardawd

Quoting DynastyLCD:
good job Matt! way to rep GVR4's!

get some V3 lovin' and a 2g MAF, i think that would work wonders for your setup. being able to tune it yourself will always be better than a chip. junk that 1g MAF lol. a step up for the clutch would be very helpful as well. personally, i think with V3, 2g MAF, more boost, your IC setup, and a clutch to hold your new found power, it will be a 12 sec setup all day long!

1g Al Blaha modified MAS has gone mid 10s. That was a nearly bone stock motor as it only had 2g pistons and still ran stock intake manifold. 272 HKS cams and a FP Red with a Spearco 221 FMIC. 10.89 with stock cams, 10.65 with 272s.

click

Wiz

James

Yea but its so simple to run a 2g/3G/Evo Maf these days there no reason to hack em up like that any more.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned