The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#461... Soon to be a real car again (again)

slugsgomoo

The funny thing is, I probably read the instructions once like 3-4 years ago when I bought it...

Jay Racing Billet mains, ARP studs, Kiggly Girdle...

Front case is on. Unseen is the GSC race shaft. I know the stub is fine, but I've been wasting enough money that what's a little more?

K1 Steel rods, billet mains, ARP everything, blah blah

modded pickup tube (reduce chances of cavitation due to uncovering the front of the pickup nuking the oil pump)

Some deep, deep valve cuts... something something 10.5:1 Wiseco 1400HD

slugsgomoo

Thanks guys. Because I can't leave well enough alone, I just ordered some stuff to convert to electric power steering as well... Hopefully it doesn't drag out the process too much as I want to drive the car this summer, but I can't help myself.

yubh8tn

wow, this is amazing. i can't wait until I have some money to spare! excited to see electric power steering

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I actually started working on the car again a bit last weekend but found that I need some extra tools (and a lot more patience) to measure all the valve clearances, and whatnot to get things degreed correctly. I will say my cam gear indicators look wonky, but at TDC the dowel pins are up, so it's a good starting point, and as long as I document the numbers I don't think it should matter. Anyone else who's gone down this road is free to correct me.

FWIW I'm running the 2.4L DOHC belt, 4G63 adjustable gears (Fidanza), FP3s, 2.4L (4G64 6 bolt), 2g head, and dual eccentric pulleys with the OEM tensioner.

As a throwback, and since there are plenty of people who need to get in on this action, here's a link to a gallery where I painted trim paint: painting the ghastly looking trim on 461... back in ~2013

steps for that are:
  • clean & dry the car
  • sand the trim so it's smooth & there's no flaky or loose paint (IMO start at 220, but look at the paint you're using for grit recommendation)
  • Scotch-Brite all the surfaces to be painted once you're done sanding
  • Vacuum all the surfaces
  • Tape & cover the rest of the car to protect from overspray
  • final wipe down with acetone or mineral spirits
  • acid etching primer
  • trim paint 2-3 coats (use a fine Scotch-Brite pad between the last two if it's not looking smooth enough (obviously wait for drying times))
On my car, I've got universal windshield trim but I had to paint the stupid back window trims. I hate them, and someday will probably get the universal trim and get rid of the stupid clips.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts