The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#431: Photoshoot

Gizmovr4

Update on 431/1000

We went to the track wednesday night with both 431 and “crabby” Nate’s daily driven 1g .
On the first and only pass with 431 - number one rod decided to leave the block, shortly after the launch!! I guess we finally hurt that motor. It did go up in smoke in spectacular fashion – closing the track for an hour plus.

The motor is already out of the car and broken down – time to assess the carnage!! One of the H-beam rods , that we were worried about for the last 2 years, finally went out both sided of the block… In the next few weeks we will be assembling another motor. Not sure yet if it will be a 2.1 long rod, 2.4 long rod or just another 2.3 with better rods.

The car will likely be making passes again by mid September - Any racer knows that in order to push forward there are bound to be a few setbacks!

Now on to “crabby” – Nate’s daily – congratulation on some amazing passes on a stock 120k block !!
Car went 10.8@124 and 10.7@127 with a bolt on fp3052 – now that’s moving with virtually no mods!!

Nates got video of both cars – and pictures of carnage to 431 – I will ask him to post

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Damn that sucks but time to build it stronger. Out of curiosity what rods were in there? Sorry, I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere.

Oh yeah, how in the hell did you get those floor mats in there? Does that bar detach somewhere? Or s the floor matt cut? Or maybe a pin under the carpet accessed by removing the seat bottom?

Gizmovr4

The rods that were in that motor were regular Manley h-beams... We were always worried about them once we started upping the boost to 40psi. After reviewing the log we realized why the rod let go! Turns out that we ran 52 plus psi of boost thru the motor in first gear! Those rods at best are rated for ~40psi. A few days before going to the track I removed the wastegate for some modifications- when reinstalling the vacuum lines got crossed up - thus the reason for the higher boost. Mental mistake by me! Anyhow it's an excuse to finally build a race motor !! The motor is out of the car and we have most of the parts for the new engine - should be back up and running by September - hopefully better and stronger!

One thing that we learned was that we managed to run ~52 psi thru 1st gear. Even though it blew up it has me exited to see what happens once we have rods that can handle that sort of power!!

I have to again thank Nate for all his effort - we have also been talking about our 2013 plans- which include a switch to another platform!! More to come!! Very exited!!

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Quoting bazeng:
No boost cut with the ecu? That is a lot of boost!

No boost cut due to reversed vacuum lines

Gizmovr4

Quoting matt92vr4:
switch to another platform???

Nate and I have been talking about a collaboration project for 2013 - likely a 4g63 powered rail ... Not sure yet we are still in the planning stages...

mistaVR4

Either way fellas, simply incredible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting gizmovr4:
Quoting matt92vr4:
switch to another platform???

Nate and I have been talking about a collaboration project for 2013 - likely a 4g63 powered rail ... Not sure yet we are still in the planning stages...

Now that that cat is out of the bag! Yeah, Im thinking 4G63 turbo rail dragster...eliminates a lot of the limitations we are up against with #431. Too short auto trans gearing, small maximum tire size, "crapshoot" torque converter with little options, and 3200 fricken lb of heft to move! Plus the limitations of fitment when it comes to simple things.

Im thinking the same power plant that pushes #431 to a 9.3@146 would push a 1900lb rail dragster with ideal gearing to something like 8.10@180 with no trouble.

Galantvr41062

Boost cut with the AEM ems just shuts the injectors off, like a rev limiter. New setup looks good, sorry to hear about the rod. What rods are you looking at for the new motor?

Strange that your the ecu not having a boost cut regardless which way the lines are run...

Awesome car though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

After 2 months of down time 431 is once again running!! No more holes on both sides of the block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif We kept it a 2.3 for now... We also took the time to improve the head and valve train while we had it apart.

The car is now on dot tires and street trim to break in the new motor (super sleeper mode). Hopefully we will get in a few full out passes in November before the winter.

This year has been all about getting the car certified and legal to run 8.50 (which it now is). I need one more 9.xx pass to get my NHRA license. Then its Nates turn in the drivers seat.

After a year of half passes, lifting early and then blowing the motor - I hope to take the car out in November for a few full out passes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif - lets see if the weather cooperates !!

EMX5636

Congrats on getting the car back together! You planning on making any street tire passes? Because that's just silly, awesome, but silly.

NateCrisman

Quoting gizmovr4:
After 2 months of down time 431 is once again running!! No more holes on both sides of the block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif We kept it a 2.3 for now... We also took the time to improve the head and valve train while we had it apart.

The car is now on dot tires and street trim to break in the new motor (super sleeper mode). Hopefully we will get in a few full out passes in November before the winter.

This year has been all about getting the car certified and legal to run 8.50 (which it now is). I need one more 9.xx pass to get my NHRA license. Then its Nates turn in the drivers seat.

After a year of half passes, lifting early and then blowing the motor - I hope to take the car out in November for a few full out passes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif - lets see if the weather cooperates !!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

November was good to us last year, knock on wood

Boostin21

Specs on wheel/tire combo? What is your F/R spring rate if you dont mind me asking? This is an awesome car. I really wish my black car would have made some passes before I had to sell it off... dammit.

Gizmovr4

The black wheels in the pictures that are used for drag racing only are Rays Engineering Volk TE37 . They are 15x6 1/2" the bolt pattern in 114.3x5 and they have a +39 offset. The slicks are M&H Racemaster 8.5x26x15 ... The street setup thats on the car now consists of flat black Rota Slip Stream wheels 16x7 - 114.3x5 bolt pattern and a +40 offset. The DOT tires are Hoosier Quick Time Pro 26x9.5x16 ...

Suspension - I bought the D2 coilovers used - so I have no clue as to what spring rates are on the car.

Last edited:

Boostin21

Wow! Those tires look much wider than that! I assumed they were either te37's or rota grids. That car sits perfectly. Bravo Nelson. This car is truly badass.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts