The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 bolt rebuild issue

prove_it

I got excessive backlash in my rear 4 bolt. I went to order up new parts and on JNZ the pic shows 3 bolt flanges, and the dealer is only 3 bolt flanges too.

Anyone have the correct part numbers or know if the 3 bolt seals/bearings/collars are all the same?

mitsuturbo

They should all be the same AFAIK. I've swapped 4 bolt internals into a 3 bolt diff housing a few times. Seals and bearings are the same. Not sure about "collars" as i'm not certain what part that is.

prove_it

The crush collar for the pinion shaft? Should have one, I'm suspecting the pinion shafts are all the same since the ratio is the same.

mitsuturbo

Since i've never put a pinion shaft BACK INTO A HOUSING, i cannot comment as to the validity of the assumption that they are the same. I would however make the same assumption and estimate it to be greater than 90% accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

prove_it

So when you swapped the gears, you never pulled the pinion? If so then hey it's gotta be the same if you got your backlash in spec.

I hate assuming, but I've learned to deal with it on these cars. It starting whining and has too much backlash, gears and viscous is good, so hopefully new bearings, set backlash and a good cleaning will fix it all. I'm just surprised that in all the parts explosions it only shows the 3 bolt flange LSD diffs. Tried 92, 93, and 94 cars, auto and manual. Weird. JNZ has just the same pic for all.

Might just have to pull the trigger and give it a shot. Was hoping to know for sure as this is my daily, so got rebuild it in one day.

If anyone has a VIN for a 4 bolt rear equipped car, please PM me it. I can use that to look up the parts.

EHmotorsports

let us know how it turns out. I will be swapping the 4 bolt internals into my 3 bolt using the ring and pinion.

prove_it

I thought about it hard last night, for the life of me the only thing I can think is different is the Viscous and the axles needed for it. I kinda worry about the output seals having a different size due to the axle size difference though.

mitsuturbo

Quoting prove_it:
So when you swapped the gears, you never pulled the pinion? If so then hey it's gotta be the same if you got your backlash in spec.

I hate assuming, but I've learned to deal with it on these cars. It starting whining and has too much backlash, gears and viscous is good, so hopefully new bearings, set backlash and a good cleaning will fix it all. I'm just surprised that in all the parts explosions it only shows the 3 bolt flange LSD diffs. Tried 92, 93, and 94 cars, auto and manual. Weird. JNZ has just the same pic for all.

Might just have to pull the trigger and give it a shot. Was hoping to know for sure as this is my daily, so got rebuild it in one day.

If anyone has a VIN for a 4 bolt rear equipped car, please PM me it. I can use that to look up the parts.

Pinion stays put. Differential comes out. Ring gear comes off. Bearing comes off on 4ws gear side. 4ws gear comes off. Bearing comes off (very carefully unless you have a new one) 4ws side of new differential. Ring gear and 4ws drive gear goes on new 4 bolt differential. Bearing goes back on. Clean everything, mark it, put it in, check teeth engagement... the few times i've done this both with a new bearing and reusing the one side, it's been within spec and good for many many miles of happy driving/racing/backofaflatbedtrucking.

prove_it

Oh yea, professionally of all the diffs I've rebuilt with new bearings, it seems like the original shims are all you need. Only time I had to mess with re-shimming was when I did a mustang rear end. He put a new pinion and gear for a different ratio.

Just wanting to be sure the bearings are all the same, plus I'm doing the pinion seal and bearings too since I'm there. Looking over the non lsd and lsd diff parts explosion, I just realized the bearings and all shims are the same. I'm really thinking it's all the same execpt for the VCU and axles.

Really wish I could throw a EVO plate diff in this instead, but hey it is what it is.

DSSA

Just to clarify:

All spacers, shims, collars, etc. are the same between manual rears. This is of course excepting the viscous coupling washer set.

Hope this helps clear matters up.

If you have a part in particular that you need help with and want to clarify, please let me know.

Josh

prove_it

perfect, Gonna order it up. Sorry old head, I get cost from the dealer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Coltsfan

I know for a fact that the spider gears and cross shaft are larger on a four bolt rear as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned