The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 bolt rear in a ggsx

mr.mitsu

I was told I could just swap the ring gear and pinion from a 3 bolt rear and use it on a 4 bolt LSD and housing.

Well, you can't!

The ring gear from the 3 is waaaaaaay smaller than the 4.

Now, I'm stuck with both rear ends in pieces and brand new oem seals in the 4 bolt housing

What I want to do is put the guts from the 3 and put them in the 4 bolt housing

Is this ok?

FYI, I'm still running the stock tranny code W5M312VXZ

Thanks

r4pt0x

I'm sure you are talking about this problem:

IMG_20131230_172600.jpg

Only way to keep the lower ratio with the bigger VR4 LSD is to get the housing machined to ~0.5mm smaller diameter + new bores for the smaller PCD:

IMG_20140413_182121.jpg

IMG_20140413_182137.jpg

I used 12.9 bolts with inner-hex (DIN 912). They are also available with a flatter head if you want more clearance within the housing.

Another variant I just discovered a few days ago:
The 4WD Colt CA0 (CC4A) had a viscous LSD with smaller housing and low ratio gears just as the open differential ones in the galant 4WD non-turbo (dynamic 4, gsx etc). These would also be an option to keep the lower ratio for the rear diff and get an LSD + 4-bolt driveshafts.

fuel

your issue is because the 3 bolt GGSX rear is not the same as the 3 bolt GVR-4 rear.

mr.mitsu

So I guess I'm stuck with the ggsx 3bolt rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Unless I swap the tranny from a 1g turbo

Fml

89Patches

WTF they're different? Could you not swap the front ring gear to a matching 3.545 in the trans? Or are the ggsx sh*t different there too? Lol

If it were me I'd swap out all the gay ggsx stuff to 1G/VR4. Can a stock ggsx trans even hold any reasonable power?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned