The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

372/1000 build thread

SmoothCustomer

Lol well not really considering that my interior has been back together for some time now. Do you really have to rewire the WHOLE car and not just the engine bay? If I recall correctly, you need to wire the center console, and then the rear lights and all the door/seat stuff run along the rails. I'm sure it's not even close to being that simple but from what i saw you had two main bundles running down either side of the car, and there's not that much wiring to the actual interior apart from what's behind the dash.

SmoothCustomer

So here's the deal. I can't get any work done on the body until my brother moves his shell which will hopefully be soon. I will then be spending 2-3 days getting the underbody etc. por-15'd, and finishing all the brake stuff besides anything that needs to go in the engine bay. I will also be doing my prep for engine bay painting. While I'm at it, should I keep the firewall blanket? I was thinking no because that would involve removing the brake master cylinder (or cutting the blanket) and the blanket already has a little hole in it. The schedule will be the same as always, working on the body by day and motor by night. It seems to be going well, but finding motor mount brackets/bolts for them is actually the hardest part. I also need to track down a ps pump and figure out what I'm going to do for an alternator. While I'm on the subject of the motor, how do you line up the timing marks on a cylinder head when the belt is off? That's the last thing I need to do before I can put that on and do the timing belt! Here are some pics of my progress thus far.
DSC00037-2.jpg

Whoodoo

You make sure the valves arent going to run into anything and get a 17mm socket (i think) and give it a turn. The exhaust cam will not line up because at TDC that cam will start to depress valves, so it kicks back a few degrees counter clockwise.

I just ordered the jay racing timing belt tool set which includes a plastic tool that goes in between the cam gears and holds them in place. If you can wait a few weeks I'll let you borrow it when Im done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SmoothCustomer

I would love to take you up on that offer, but I bought that set a couple years ago! It is fantastic and you will absolutely love it! I couldn't be happier. Cool, thanks though. I'm trying to go tomorrow to get all my hardware and gaskets and I may be able to get the head bolted on, timing belt on, turbo on, both manifolds and the throttle body etc. all on in one day. The only things I can think of after that will be bolting up engine mounting brackets, the ps pump/alternator, accessory belts and pulleys and the drivetrain stuff (flywheel/clutch). Basically I want the engine totally ready to drop in as soon as I finish the engine bay, and it looks like it might actually happen!

sixsixtwo

Nice looking build so far Eric. You're going a long way into showing that us younger guys can build clean vr4's too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SmoothCustomer

Thanks man! It sucks being young and wins at the same time. On one hand I have to have the car out of the driveway before snow flies, which will be very tough to do once school starts because I will have to decide to throw the motor in and drive it to storage or take my time and have the shell towed to storage which I don't have money for. On the other hand I have free time because I haven't had a job for the last few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

I'm assuming you are using OEM gaskets. When you torqued the front case bolts, did it seem like the gasket was compressing quite a bit? I'm doing that right now and the bolts torque to about 25ish ft-lb but hold that torque and turn.

SmoothCustomer

Hmm I think torque specs on those is like 11-16 ft. lbs for most of those, right? I don't remember, but I'm using an fsm. Either way, yes I did have that problem. The last time I did this I don't remember if I kept turning them until it would jump a little or if I just left it solidly at whatever the spec is. I wish I did remember though because that front case has never leaked.

SmoothCustomer

The old shell is on its way out, so hopefully I will start prepping for por15 tomorrow, but no later than Saturday. Pulled out the head today, and I'm a tiny bit worried about flatness. I checked it with a crappy ruler and it didn't seem totally flat. I'll have to check it properly soon, and if it's not totally flat I may end up going with a fel-pro from a parts store because a local guy has run some great numbers on one of those and this isn't supposed to be a really high hp build yet anyway. It also came without cam gears which I have to track down a set of. It shouldn't take long or anything, but I only have until a week from today to get it as close to completion as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SmoothCustomer

Ok, a little bit more progress but I'm moving slower than I was hoping. Either way I think I should be where I want to be by the end of next week. I spent the whole day taking care of the shell (teaser below /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) and it looks like I will actually get a chance to at least finish prepping the underside for por15. I spent the whole night swapping the stock intake cam on the 2g head for a 1g cam, because that's supposedly the best stock combo. Now I just need someone to hold the wrench down while I torque down the came gears and it will go together!

turbowop

Just put a wrench on the camshaft hex and put it against a block of wood to keep the shaft from turning while you torque down the cam sprockets. No help needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SmoothCustomer

Ok, I finally got under the car today. I spent the whole day yesterday pulling out both subframes which was a hassle too, but putting them back in is going to be way less fun. I must have spent 6 hours under the car today degreasing with marine clean and a wire brush. After I got everything as good as I good I hit it with our girlie electric pressure washer. I've been greasy from working on these cars before, but I was covered all the way up to my thighs and shoulders. I leaned against the garage door frame and it's filthy now. I'm really happy with how the driveshaft channel came out, but some other parts could look a little better. I'm pretty happy though considering that it's a 19 year old car that has been neglected. Tonight I will use the metal ready (but it won't look different hence the pics) and last night I also got my head on. It's not tightened down yet though which I plan on doing tonight.

p.s. the whole underbody was pretty much jet black, and a lot of what you still see is factory/previous owner undercoating (but not all of it).
DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

SmoothCustomer

Ok, so I got two coats of por15 done. All I really have left that I wanted to do before I go to school (tomorrow) was por15 the wheel wells and the gas tank then install the rear brake lines, both subframes the rear bumper and the exhaust. All I'm really going to get done today is installing the subframes, and that's if I'm lucky. I hope to come home next weekend (long weekend) so I can bang out that other stuff.
DSC00093.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

(50k mile subframe)
DSC00097.jpg

Sean92AWD

Looks good man! Ill have to look around and find some pics when i had it.

SmoothCustomer

^^Please do! Also if you have any information on who did what to the car I would appreciate it. Mainly wondering who did away with the sheet metal where the stock battery should be haha.

Sean92AWD

The previous owner to me it had a VPC GCC 50 trim and ran absolutely horrid. they were the ones who hacked up the harness and put the mismatched panels on the car. They also removed the power steering which i was going to replace. I bought it pulled out the VPC/GCC the bad turbo and the damaged bumpers. Bought a EVO 3 16g, the bumpers, a JDM hood then a JDM CF hood, a CF trunk, GC coilovers, a MAFT Gen 2, 5 lug swap the lsd 3 bolt, wheels and tires. It ran great but couldnt get it to pass emissions. Then i hit some hard times and had to part it out and let it go.

5757994f.jpg

4dc7a256.jpg

f47ae7e1.jpg

8f8b6712.jpg

28aa1e8e.jpg

Pictures002.jpg

donkeylips

What wheels were those? They look nice on there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts