The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000gt rear diff conversion

Quoting ryno529:
By the time you bought the trans had it built and custom fabbed up all the parts to fit it in, you could buy a dog box. good idea though. The only gear we ever really have had troubles with is 4th

My input shaft.

My intermediate shaft.

I also pushed my front diff out of the case, and a couple other serious things.

Im making good power but this is a full evo III gear box so it has all of the highest upgraded parts in it already. There are allot more parts than the fouth gear thats the weak point. Its the whole box.

H05TYL

Quoting gixxer:
really long gears are no fun. i like short, aggressive ratios.

agreed.

also as the bell housing makes up half of the gearbox casing, it's going to cost ALOT to get one cast, and then machined, etc to work.

It'd be cheaper and easier to have an adapter plate made up

donniekak

Quoting gixxer:
really long gears are no fun. i like short, aggressive ratios.

Then you have never walked someone 60-120 mph, without shifting. Also anything below a 125mph trap in the quarter is a 2 shift experience. Not the best for road or rally, but the getrag 5-speed owns the quarter.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Is the 3000gt rear really needed? Aren't there plenty dsm's running stock 4 bolt rears with upgraded axles? How much power you plan on putting down?

800 + to the wheels. Yes we all know the dsm trans weak. The 3000gt is a nice thought but not practical just look at the 2 transmissions next to each other. 2 totally different bolt patterns,different slave cylinder location, different linkages, different axles$$$$$ and so on. My car is not really going to be a street car so a dog box is fine for my application and yes i have driven a straight cut gear trans. I would love to find another awd gear box option like all of you but there really isn't another option at this time that would be affordable. The only bullet proof option would be to convert the car to RWD with the kit from Buschur and run an Automatic GM powerglide, th-400 or 4L80e which i considered but where is the fun in that.

Leon_R

I search and search, but can't find any definitive threads about this swap. Has anyone gone ahead with this swap? I ready that English racing did it a while back, nothing specific.

EMX5636

Calling Gizmovr4 or NateCrisman!!! He just swapped 431 to one. Maybe they have some insight or pics other than a custom subframe.

Leon_R

That is the problem, I keep hearing same type of "second hand" information, but nothing specific. I might try PM Nate.

EMX5636

Yea I know what you mean. I know his exists though, I just don't have any pics of it. I'd PM them and see if they'll share.

Last edited:

prove_it

Is it really worth the trouble? I mean would it be really that much tougher?

NateCrisman

Quoting Anonymous:
We have broken a few 4 bolt rears and evo rears. I know AMS uses the 3000gt rear in their drag car..They sell a $3000 kit to do it. I figured the 3000 gt rear must be better so i am planning on replacing the whole thing. I am going to try and get this thing in the low low 9's

condecending asshole voice on
I think you should spend some time and read all the threads about 1062 Moon Taxi and how much breakage he endured and how many days at the track were total waste of time, trying to run a 9 second stick trans GVR4. The car made 1000+whp but still hasn't made an optimized pass in like 5 years. He had an engine program that was wicked! and seemed every time we would collectively wait for his track report (Gizmo & I in bittersweet hopeful for him but anxious about the record), 9/10 times it was a disappointing: trans broke / driveline broke....no good runs. And with major respect to #1062's owner/building....that dude KNEW HIS sh*t and he built the entire car himself!

This is a lot harder than just slapping some parts together and it runs 9's.....there is a buildup to run low 9's that nothing can teach you except experience of the trials and tribulations of failing over and over again at the 10second to 9second range.

IMHO I think if you put a manual trans in the car that is anything but a dog box (air shifting optional, but preferred)....your wasting your valuable time and money if you want to actually go fast. Or you put a stock OEM automatic driveline in it that's cheap and will work into the 9's without hassle. Take that for what it's worth, Iv been there on multiple cars....Iv had 150mph stick trans cars that most often broke and never made a real quality run. and now we have a 150mph auto car that almost runs 8s and does it over and over and over.
condecending asshole voice off

less douchebag voice on
As for the 3kGT rear....I guess #431 is going to get it this winter/spring once we get past the holidays and GizmoVR4 has some motivation and free time. I have a gut feeling that modifying either the DSM subframe or the 3Kgt subframe is going to end up being more of a frankenstein than we want, and the real solution is going to be a tube subframe made "in-house" But honestly, I don't have any real evidence to add to this yet because I haven't seen it myself.

Granted...I was under the impression that the diff, pinion, ring gear were all larger on the 3kgt rear. If the case is different, but the guts are the same as a 4bolt DSM rear....... why are we doing this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
lesser douchebag voice off

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

IvanDornVR4Jap

Hello! I would like to ask, has anyone done the installation procedure of the rear subframe from a GTO/3000gt? Experiencing a similar procedure to Е39А JAPAN, but the idea is a little different, components the same. Donor is mmc diamant in the back of the F27A, which has the same sets of levers, the same 4WS system the same principle and most importantly the gear ratio in the gearbox 3545, Hibrid VCU (Torsen+VCU LSD or Viscouz), which in turn is perfect for my manual transmission. All bearings, seals, levers, wheel, hub identical MMC GTO VR4 Z16A in the body. Here is how that so. Drawings, photos can not yet be applied here - have not figured out with the forum, I can throw on e-mail if you are interested. And Yes, I forgot, the Russian name is Maxim Sokolov, is 300 kilometers from Barnaul, the information to extort him and the truth is very hard on the project))) But main I think it's clear and so, this season 2016 the car is built under the twinturbo. Thank you! And sorry that almost do not know English, I write through the online translator!

Gizmovr4

Just to update this we do have a subframe with a 3000gt rear ready to install into 431 . I received the upgraded axles from DSS today ! Picture is without the axles. Hopefully I will get on this swap in the next few weeks ... Need to get back to the track after a long layoff due to priorities revolving around family !

Gizmovr4

Fits a factory drive shaft - although I use a dss aluminum on 431

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts